Yes, at first blush, multi-launching does seem like a more generally useful capability.  However, when I think of launching multiple Java applications, Eclipse workbenches, and even Ant builds concurrently, I shudder.  Certainly, in the C (and *nix) environment its usefulness is obvious.

I wonder why Platform Debug doesn't already have multi-launches?  On reflection, I'm surprised that it doesn't already exist...

cW

On Tue, 2009-03-31 at 10:58 -0700, Schaefer, Doug wrote:
Welcome, Christian ;)

I'm also wondering if this is something we'd like to contribute to the Debug Platform, at least down the road. Would we design it differently if we had more control over the launch UI?

Doug.

From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Christian W. Damus
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 1:51 PM
To: CDT General developers list.
Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] multi launch

Hi, Elena,

I don't have objections, but questions  :-)

What happens when a launch config that is referenced by the multi-launch is deleted?  Is the multi-launch config then broken, such that the user must repair it (by removing the reference to the missing launch, or perhaps replacing it with another) before it can be launched again?  This would seem intuitive to me.  Also, is there any kind of delete-participant or the like for launch configurations, by which you could pro-actively warn the user of the dependency from a multi-launch on a config that is being deleted?

How about validation of the sharing of these configs?  It might be a good idea to warn when a multi-launch that includes private launch configs is shared in the workspace.

Will a multi-launch track the processes that it creates so that they can be aggregated in a console, terminated as a group, etc?

Regarding a name for the launch config type, I think "Multi-Launch" is appropriate.  It doesn't imply semantics of pipeline or any other specific multi-process scenario, and names like "Launch Family" would connote a commonality of characteristics that also doesn't apply.  Perhaps "Launch Group" would be a less jargon-ish alternative.

Cheers,

Christian