Re: [cdt-dev] Target vs. GDB state & embedded development

On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 07:03:51PM +0200, Øyvind Harboe wrote:
> When CDT believes that the target is running(i.e. when CDT is not
> waiting for GDB to complete the continue/step packet), it is
> possible to issue "monitor" commands via the GDB console.

Do you have a wrong negative in that sentence?  It doesn't make sense.

> These monitor commands can reset, step, continue, run, halt,
> modify registers, etc. all behind GDB & CDT's back. Upon the
> next step/continue command to GDB, GDB will pick up all the
> changes again.

It sounds to me like you're using a hardware debugger to do some
imitation of GDB's async and non-stop modes, without telling GDB
about it.  The DSF folks are working on async and non-stop mode in
cooperation with the GDB developers, which is clearly the way to
go.

If your setup causes GDB to return "blunt lies" to CDT, then
CDT shouldn't work around that problem.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery