[cdt-dev] Target vs. GDB state & embedded development

One thing that confuses CDT is that the target and GDB state are only
very loosly coupled.

E.g. when I connect to a target, that target could be in any state:

- running
- halted
- other... eg. powered down

When CDT believes that the target is running(i.e. when CDT is not
waiting for GDB to complete the continue/step packet), it is
possible to issue "monitor" commands via the GDB console.

These monitor commands can reset, step, continue, run, halt,
modify registers, etc. all behind GDB & CDT's back. Upon the
next step/continue command to GDB, GDB will pick up all the
changes again.

So what I'm driving at here is that CDT should not think of the
target as running or not running, but rather as either waiting
for a continue or step packet to terminate.

The register/target information returned when GDB is not
waiting for continue/step to complete, may be a blunt
lie as the target may in fact be powered down...

--
Øyvind Harboe
http://www.zylin.com/zy1000.html

Back to the top