Re: [cdt-dev] Heads-up on a design change for default project configuration and target

Alain,
My thinking here is that the cdtbuild file contains overridden settings for tools, and that information should probably go into the CM system. I say probably because there are use cases where someone sets an option for a tool due to some local problem, then checks their changes in, inadvertently causing problems for their entire team. We would need to have both a default project settings file that comes out of CM, and a local file for individual settings that is persisted some other way to avoid this.

That said, what the last target or configuration a *particular* user was editting does not seem to belong in CM. Under the current system, that information will be checked in.

Sean Evoy
Rational Software - IBM Software Group
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

"Alain Magloire" <alain@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: cdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

03/10/2004 10:43 AM

Please respond to
cdt-dev

cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: [cdt-dev] Heads-up on a design change for default project configuration and target

> Hi All,
> I want to give the developers looking at the managed build system a
> heads-up on an unanticipated design change that will be needed to solve
> bugzilla 54202. The problem is that I am using the cdtbuild file to store
> the last target and configuration the user was editing. When the user
> changes configurations in the UI (even to simply verify the settings), I
> update the cdtbuild file. Since this file is checked into source control,
> it gets checked out all the time.
>
> Clearly, the solution is to store the last viewed/edited configuration in
> the project's persistent property store on a per-user basis. Frankly, this
> was a convenience feature to begin with, so where the information gets
> stored is not that important to me. The changes to the persist-load logic

It is if you want to make this sharable or save the information via a VCM
(Version Control)