From: Schaefer, Doug [mailto:dschaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 10:33 AM
To: 'cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx'; cdt-core-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx; cdt-debug-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [cdt-dev] Re: [cdt-core-dev] CDT 1.0 release plan

I'd have to agree with the backward compatibility rule.  I think there has to be a lot more evaluation on how the APIs will be used before we can freeze them or else we won't be very happy in the long run.

I don't mind releasing more often in the early stages especially if there is unfinished work that we were planning on delivering at the end of October that needs finishing.  There are some things we are Rational would like to work on over the next few months (and I'll put out a mail shortly explaining that) that certainly wouldn't be ready before 2003.  So we'll have to get an understanding of when the appropriate time for doing this is so that we don't mess up any of these releases.

Whatever we decide, we need to be clear about what is delivering when.  There are companies that are making business plans with the CDT who need a certain level of predictability.  As plans change, we need to make sure we look down the pipe to understand the affects of these changes.

Cheers,
Doug Schaefer
Senior Staff Software Engineer
Rational - the software development company
Ottawa (Kanata), Ontario, Canada