Re: [cbi-dev] tycho and qualifiers

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 10:36 AM, Igor Fedorenko <igor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What is the usecase for using different version qualifiers for different
projects from the same git repository?

Our bundle qualifiers change when the code changes.  For example. eclipse.platform.ui has 92 bundles and most of them haven't changed since 3.7.  Their qualifiers shouldn't change either.

Git is happy to provide the last commit to touch a subdirectory and that's what we're currently using to generate a qualifier for each bundle, which we are using as part of the standard PDE build/map file process.

We are in a partial state right now, which is changing bundles have the new v<UTCtimestamp> qualifier that's tied to the last commit  to touch that bundle.  Bundles that haven't changed are using the tag from the map file, and that works for us currently because of the Git PDE fetch factory copies each bundle out of its git repo.  One of our options for 3.8/4.2 is to switch all of the bundle qualifiers to the new format ... take some churn now for some stability going forward.

Or are you asking about our build input?  It's always been our intent to supply one commit as the build input (our auto-tagging works from our integration or master branch, and I believe it's consistent with the LTS prototype being an aggregate repo that specifies the other repos as submodules).

Later,
PW

--
Paul Webster