Re: [bpmn2-modeler-dev] Eclipse Process Framework (EPF) and BPMN modeller

Hi Fabian,

The Eclipse BPMN2 Modeler is an original work developed entirely within the Eclipse ecosystem and was not influenced by EPF or any other third party tools. As such, it is designed to integrate with Eclipse and conforms to Eclipse UX and accessibility guidelines.

As you are probably aware, BPMN was designed to be extensible and many execution engines and BPM documentation systems require specific model extensions. These extensions may or may not be exposed by the UI depending on their use by the execution engine. BPMN2 Modeler was developed with this in mind and can be extended, through use of a customized plugin, to manage these model extensions.

The editor should be able to import and display any BPMN 2.0 compliant models, however experience has shown that some third party tools and execution engines do not conform to the BPMN 2.0 standard, and BPMN2 Modeler may have problems with those model files. If you can send me some examples, I'll be happy to check them for conformance. Alternatively, you can test BPMN2 Modeler out for yourself on Eclipse Luna or Mars by installing from one of these update sites:

http://download.eclipse.org/bpmn2-modeler/updates/luna/1.1.3/
http://download.eclipse.org/bpmn2-modeler/updates/mars/1.2.0/

The project website can be found here:

https://www.eclipse.org/bpmn2-modeler/

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,
Bob

________________________
Robert ("Bob") Brodt
Senior Software Engineer
JBoss by Red Hat

Madam,

Sir,

I am Process Development Manager for the company IEE S.A. in the Automotive environment (www.iee.lu)

We are currently using EPFC to design and publish our processes (not only SW) and I found today that there is a new tool BPMN modeller from Eclipse.

EPF is a great tool but rather complex. Using it on a daily basis is not a problem but we have some Process Owners who find it more complex.

I looked at some screenshot of BPMN modeller and found the tool more user friendly (just an impression).

Do you have some feedback and information you can share with me?

Is this tool an evolution of EPF and can it replace it?

Are they compatible?

Thanks in advance for your quick response.

Fabian Leponce

--

Kind regards / Sincères Salutations / Mit freundlichen Gruessen / 祝好

Fabian LEPONCE

Process Development & Optimization Manager

IEE S.A.

ZAE Weiergewan

11, rue Edmond Reuter

L-5326 Contern

Luxembourg

Phone: +352 2454 2430

Fax: +352 2454 3430

www.iee.lu

http://www.ceia.com/images/lcb/greenTree.gifPlease consider the environment before printing this email.

This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed or otherwise confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this e-mail in error, you are hereby notified that any review, copying or distribution of it is strictly prohibited. Please inform us immediately and destroy the original transmittal from your system. Thank you for your co-operation.