I'm writing on behalf of the Eclipse
Foundation's Planning Council. As I understand it, some personnel/committers
have changed recently ... and that's interfering with BIRT's ability to
deliver a release for Luna. (Such as, you missed "M7", completely).
Several attempts have been made to communicate
with the team, via cross-project list, and bugzilla, and these project
lists, while there was one response that "it was nearly ready"
that was nearly two weeks ago, and then not another word. And this, despite
my offer to help in any way that was reasonable.
There are several other projects in
the "Yearly Release Train" that rely on BIRT, as well as many
I'm writing this note to you, the PMC,
and Lead committers as a last effort to improve communication and ask if
there is any more I can do?
If BIRT is not able to deliver in time
for Luna, (RC1 being next Wednesday) I think you owe it to the community
to inform everyone of that as soon as possible, so they can make alternative
plans. To use BIRT from "last release" is not feasible, since
there is a conflict with an "ICU4J" bundle that changed versions
in an incompatible way.
I think it is fair to say, that if BIRT
is not in the
aggregation build for RC1, then
BIRT will not be in Luna. Or, to put it more exactly, if BIRT is not in
aggregation build for RC1, and still wants to be in Luna, then you will
need to go through the Planning
Council Exception Process. And,
of course, that does not mean you need to wait until next Wednesday ...
the sooner the better!
I'm quite sincere in making myself available
to answer questions or even have a phone call, if that would help get things
back on track quickly. It would be unfortunate to lose BIRT from the release
train, in many ways.
Let me know if I can help, or if you'd
like me to set up a phone call.