Re: [babel-dev] Build process, p2 metadata

Team,

1) +1 for pulling the update site from the download page and replacing it with a brief explanation of the issues we are having (maybe pointing to bug #274025). There seems to be no reason to point our users to something that will not work for any of them.

2) I don't know if there is a way to reduce the number of plugins and still provide translations for everything. I think we will just have to deal with it, but I could be wrong.

3) I would be willing to try to apply the patch from bug #274025 to Eclipse. If anyone knows of a good tutorial or wiki page that details any of the steps in the process of compiling Eclipse that would be great help.

I am also very interested in the steps to deploy the language packs as I am starting to look into this very issue for the EPP team. Would it be possible to develop a common deploy script (I know this is out side of the scope of Babel)?

Thanks,
gO'

Denis Roy wrote:
Team,

The 'new' build system has been working good for a couple of weeks now, and you can see/test the nightly (N2009...) and weekly (I2009) builds from the build server <http://build.eclipse.org/technology/babel/>. I'll be writing a quick promote script so that we can update our real downloads site. The last release build was done over a month ago.

Because of https://bugs.eclipse.org/274025, we still do not have any p2 metadata, and I believe this is problematic. From here, I can think of a few options:

1. Effective immediately, we should perhaps remove the Update Site URLs from our Babel download page <http://www.eclipse.org/babel/downloads.php>, and only link to the ZIPs instead, since installing the ZIP files seems to work (whereas p2 complains of missing dependencies if using the update site). Thoughts?

2. Our update site has 942 features and 42,000+ plugins. Perhaps this is not optimal. Thoughts?

3. Sean submitted a patch to bug 274025, but that code will not make it into Eclipse 3.5. I am open to running a patched version of Eclipse to build the metadata, if someone can produce it.

I'll keep you informed on the promote script.

Denis