Re: [aspectj-users] AJDT icons query & iajc problem

Thanks for your suggestions, Mat and Eric.

The search engine is a great help in browsing the AspectJ archives.

As for using the AspectJ builder in AJDT, I am trying to convert my project from the Ant build to
the AspectJ builder.

I mention again, Ant is a convenient build tool especially when projects need to be built in stages and involve a variety of build situations. For example, typically, when compiling ORBs, the initial stages involve building the IDL compiler and then generating Java source files by running the IDL compiler. The generated sources are then compiled using either the <javac> or the <iajc> task. A
lot of times, these sources have circular dependencies.

One way suggested for adapting to this variety of build scenarios, is to split my ORB compilation into a series of Java and AspectJ projects and have them dependent on each other in a (mostly) sequential manner. I read the suggestions for doing binary weaving in Mat's article at the following
link: http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-aopwork9/

But at the same time I understand that the AJDT support for crosscutting visualization for binary aspects and binary weaving is not as rich as that enjoyed by the traditional AspectJ projects. I think enhancing <iajc> to generate the crosscutting information is probably worth it. I would be interested in hearing opinions of others in the community using Ant and AspectJ and how they
handle this.

Once again, I thank you for your suggestions and pointers.

Regards,

Venkat