[aspectj-users] access properties from class

Hi all,
how can I access properties defined inside a class into which an aspect is inserted?
I'm trying to extend the log4j PatternParser so it recognizes custom conversion characters,

1: public aspect xPatternParser { 2:
3: void around(PatternParser pp, char c):
4: all(void finalizeConverter(char)) && target(pp) && args(c)
5: {
6: if(c=='i')
7: pp.addConverter(new IPConverter(formattingInfo)) ;
8: else
9: proceed(pp,c) ;
10: }
11:
12: private class IPConverter extends PatternConverter {
13: 14: IPConverter(FormattingInfo formattingInfo) {
15: super(formattingInfo);
16: }
17:
18: public String convert(LoggingEvent event) {
19: return event.getIP() ;
20: }
21: }
22: 23:}

in line 7 I tried to access a property and method I know PatternParser has but two errors ocurr:

7: [error] The method addConverter(PatternConverter) from the type PatternParser is not visible
pp.addConverter(new IPConverter(formattingInfo)) ;
^^^^^^^^
7: [error] formattingInfo cannot be resolved
pp.addConverter(new IPConverter(formattingInfo)) ;

so how can I access properties from the class I'm trying to extend?

regards,
Gerardo