Re: [aspectj-dev] Progress towards 1.2 release candidate (and some actions...)

> - For LTW, I still haven't heard why having a separate jar and
> main class that creates a classloader and delegate wouldn't
> be a good interface.  That should work in Java 1.2+ and creates
> a testable interface.  I understand that it's not sufficient
> for some more complex J2EE deployments, but it should work
> fine for simple programs.  (I believe I submitted this as
> a patch...)

>For LTW main class, I meant in addition to the script, not
>instead-of.  I understand the benefits of the scripts.

The problem with the main class approach is that we end up with a different
method for each JDK level and one that isn't complete for 1.3 and earlier.
When running from the command prompt a user expects the same behaviour as
running vanilla "java", something that can be achieved with 1.4 and 1.5
because we can either fully replace or instrument the default system class
loader. In 1.3 there are still dangling references to the old loader
(System.getClassLoader(), Thread.getContextClassLoader(), ...) which may
cause certain programs to malfunction.

This is awkward because while most users have 1.4 and many are now calling
for 1.5 we still support 1.3 for generated code. Unfortunately we can't do
a complete job of supporting LTW because of Java run-time deficiencies
(that other tools address via bootclasspath and HCR). Also having a
"launcher" doesn't feel right although perhaps it would make a good sample
instead.

BTW I can't find your patch on bug 31460.

Matthew Webster
AOSD Project
Java Technology Centre, MP146
IBM Hursley Park, Winchester,  SO21 2JN, England
Telephone: +44 196 2816139 (external) 246139 (internal)
Email: Matthew Webster/UK/IBM @ IBMGB, matthew_webster@xxxxxxxxxx
http://w3.hursley.ibm.com/~websterm/

Back to the top