Re: [asciidoc-wg] AsciiDoc Tooling Overview / Awesome list

This has been an interesting discussion. I'm with Jesse and Mike on this that if this is something the AsciiDoc WG decided to pursue and oversee (even tangentially), it should be in an Eclipse-maintained repository and under the most liberal license that the EDP can afford us (which we've established is CC-BY-4.0 by precedent of the AsciiDoc language user documentation [1]). And I think by doing that, to address Jesse's concern, it will end up being a much more curated and useful list. That's ultimately what we want to offer as a service to the community. We also have to be mindful of what we cite, because the recognition has a lot of clout that comes along with it.

Where I'll deviate is that I'm not in favor of using GitHub. The AsciiDoc WG has established a space for ourselves on the new Eclipse GitLab instance [2], and we should be using that for all AsciiDoc-related repositories (except in cases we can't, like the WG website). As I understand it, one project does not map to one repository, so we can create other repositories there under an existing project. And using GitLab has the added advantage that it actually supports AsciiDoc fully (includes, diagrams, icons, etc).

In addition to working out whether we want to move forward this, we'll need to sort out how exactly we commission a new repository and add contributors to it. This is new territory for me.

Best Regards,

-Dan

[2] https://gitlab.eclipse.org/eclipse/asciidoc (yes, there are still kinks to work out because it's new, but we will get them sorted out in due time)

--
Dan Allen, Vice President | OpenDevise Inc.
Pronouns: he, him, his

Back to the top