Re: [asciidoc-wg] AsciiDoc implementation for the Java/JVM ecosystem / project proposal

It’s almost certain, in my mind, that it will be rather difficult to standardize the conversion to PDF.  PDF is necessarily *not* semantic, but highly physical, and utterly subject to styling, etc.  Creating a standard that requires strict adherence will make it almost impossible for alternative implementations to reach conformance, more or less defeating the purpose of standardization in the first place.

Honestly, I’d almost rather not standardize *any* of the output formats (rendered formats), with the exception of DocBook.  (I have no love of DocBook, but its fully semantic and fairly rigidly standardized, so it has usefulness in terms of conformance testing.  It also can provide a gateway for implementations to get to other formats utilizing external tools, if they can’t do so natively.)

In particular, I expect different toolchains to possibly generate slightly different outputs even for HTML – perhaps adding for example additional CSS classes to facilitate richer styling than the common group agreed upon.  (Further, styling is quite varied, both with CSS, and with different syntax highlighters, etc.  For example, do you use pygments syntax, or highlight js?  Do you inline the CSS styles or style elements or emit that into a separate file, etc.)

What’s *far* more important (to me at least), is that we have an agreed upon standard for the grammar of AsciiDoc, as well as one common format (DocBook is what I’m proposing) that can be used as a validation / conformance target.

One thing I’ve recently done for the libasciidoc toolchain is make it possible to have different backends or different templates, so that the emitted content can be changed by applications, etc.  This will allow me to use this to generate EPUB content with some special things that I want which might not be appropriate for common use, without having to fork the entire toolchain.  I imagine a similar approach could be taken for Java based implementations.

I also realize that I’m approaching this WG from a different position than some others, because I really don’t have much interest in a Java implementation (we already have one after all) – rather I’m interested in a standard that will let me access this from environments that are more natural for me (golang in my case).

Sent from Mail for Windows 10