Re: [asciidoc-lang-dev] Extension hooks in Asciidoc

See also the thread "Avoiding Implementation Specifics Thoughts".

Cheers
Lex

On Sat, 13 Mar 2021 at 08:15, Jay Bryant <jbryant@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
We use AsciidoctorJ. Spring is written in Java, so we prefer other things that are written in Java. Part of the team's excitement about the Working Group is that there will be a Java implementation.

That shouldn't matter, though. IMO, the Asciidoc specification should provide extension mechanisms regardless of the language that implements the specification. In other words, I would like the specification to call out extension mechanisms. The XSLT specification does so, for example: https://www.w3.org/TR/xslt-30/#extension (and did so in its previous versions, though each one did it differently).

From: asciidoc-lang-dev <asciidoc-lang-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of David Jencks <david.a.jencks@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2021 3:30 PM
To: AsciiDoc developer discussions <asciidoc-lang-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [asciidoc-lang-dev] Extension hooks in Asciidoc

Hi Jay,

Looking at the repo, it appears to be a mix of ruby and java code.  Which “dialect(s)” of Asciidoctor are you (Spring) using, called how?

I’m much more familiar with the _javascript_ and ruby dialects than java.  It looks like it is considerably more awkward to implement processor extensions in java than other languages.
I think it’s possible that there are existing more efficient ways to implement some extensions in current Asciidoctor, such as using the template converter system for your converter extension.

Other than the possible difficulty of implementing string manipulation in java, and relating java extensions to a ruby backend, I’m curious what specifically you would like to be easier.

I always like looking at what people do to extend Asciidoctor :-)

Thanks
David Jencks