Re: [asciidoc-lang-dev] Proposing olinks

> Dave wrote:
> but the "<<filename.adoc,link text>>" example did not.

Your observation is correct. This is an Asciidoctor quirk. There are reasons why this case is not supported, but those reasons aren't really important here. The xref shorthand should likely work the same way as the xref macro. So that is something the spec could clarify.

As a side note, I think the xref macro should be preferred for making interdocument references and the xref shorthand should be reserved only for internal references. At least, that's the practice I always recommend. To me, it provides a visual clue as to when I'm linking within the document and when I'm linking across documents.

I also want to mention that we know that quirks exist in both AsciiDoc and in Asciidoctor. AsciiDoc was developed organically over nearly two decades, so it picked up some oddies along the way. The challenge of this project is to try to weed out as much oddness as possible as we evolve the language. But that's really true of all mature technology. It's a constant battle against chaos.

Best Regards,

-Dan

--
Dan Allen, Vice President | OpenDevise Inc.
Pronouns: he, him, his

Back to the top