[aperi-dev] Interim release 1 distribution discussion...

Hello All,
Due to distribution issues with the SNIA HBA libraries, distribution of the Aperi release 1 code provides a rather unfriendly end-user experience.  The SNIA code is native, and is currently only distributed as source (no pre-built binaries).  Therefore, when a user downloads the Aperi distribution, he or she must obtain the SNIA source, compile it, and then add it to the Aperi distribution (along with other third-party libraries).  To compile the SNIA source, a user will follow a similar process used when downloading Aperi and compiling the Aperi source.    Given this current process, it may be easier and more efficient for an end-user to:

1. setup a development environment, download the Aperi source & SNIA source, add 3rd party binaries, build thru the IDE, and run the code
vs.

2.  download the Aperi distribution, setup a compilation environment, compile the SNIA source, add 3rd party binaries, and then run the code.

Usage of the IDE tool in option 1 provides useful support and help.  Given this situation, is it worth posting a release 1 binary distribution (option 2)?  Or should we just encourage users to follow option 1?

Please note, this is a temporary situation.  We are working hard to resolve the SNIA HBA binary distribution problem.  Ultimately, we desire a simple "download & run" scenario for Aperi.  However, the legal quagmire is a necessary evil.  Once licensing and distribution issues are completely resolved, the question posed will no longer be an issue.  In the meanwhile, what are your thoughts?  Let's get some convo...

Todd Singleton
Software Engineer, Tivoli, IBM
Bldg. 50, A152
5600 Cottle Road