Re: [ajdt-dev] AspectJ / AJDT -- what is stable?

> I don't know what the point of reference is for a "smooth experience".
> But at least in this new AJDT 163, I saw for the first time an
> (in-project) Aspect show up in the search list of "open type", while
> another Aspect from a neighbour project imported via Jar at least shows
> up as Class! Thanks for that! But, on the other hand, since at least
> last Fall, the cross references view is unreliable, and this got
> significantly worse with AJDT 162. But this is really difficult to track
> down; I didn't succeed with extracting a test case showing the problem
> (otherwise I'd reported already ;-)

Hi Hermann,

Thank you for letting us know that some of the crosscutting model is
not behaving as you would expect.  Since AJDT 1.6.1, AJDT has been
using the AspectJ comiler's project model to create and store
crosscutting structure.  In the past, AJDT had been creating its own
model after the compilation was complete.  The reason for this change
was primarily for effiiciency (full builds of large projects can take
up to half as long as before, and incremental builds can be even
faster).  However, in order to get this increased efficiency, we had
to give up a few things.  Perhaps it is one of these issues that you
are bumping up against in the cross references.

Here is a list of known limitations of the current crosscutting model:

1. elements on the in path do not have gutter markers (even though
aspects that advise these elements on the in path do).

2. source folders that are external to the workspace or are linked may
not have gutter markers properly displayed.

3. Abstract aspects (that are not on the aspect path but are on the
classpath) that are implemented by a concrete aspect will not have
gutter markers to show this.  Neither will the advised elements.  Note
that this is legal from the compiler's point of view, but the model
elements do not appear in the crosscutting model.

If you believe that you are coming across any of these situations,
then we may be able to create a fix for you.

Also, I'd like to reiterate what Andy said.  If you notice any strange
behavior in AJDT or AspectJ, please post to this mailing list or the
aspectj mailing list, even if you can't reproduce it on demand.  We
would very much like to know if any users' experiences are less than
satisfactory.  We hope to address all these little quirks.

--a

Back to the top