Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » .gitignore_global, Eclipse has git but terminal says not installed?(Configuring .gitignore_global on Ubuntu)
.gitignore_global, Eclipse has git but terminal says not installed? [message #1820664] Sat, 25 January 2020 14:16 Go to next message
Dáire Fagan is currently offline Dáire FaganFriend
I want to implement a .gitignore_global with the command:

git config --global core.excludesfile  /mnt/freedom/cloud/git/.gitignore_global

but the output tells me git is not installed and prompts me to sudo apt install it.

Git is working just fine in Eclipse for cloning repos and pushes etc. If I install it via the terminal will Git in Eclipse use the global gitignore file, or is there another way I should be doing this please?

Ubuntu 18.04, Eclipse 2018-12.
Re: .gitignore_global, Eclipse has git but terminal says not installed? [message #1820734 is a reply to message #1820664] Tue, 28 January 2020 07:38 Go to previous message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
You can use git only if it is installed. EGit implementing the Git integration in Eclipse uses JGit, the Java implementation of Git,
which comes with the EGit update site, hence the Git integration in Eclipse also works if native git is not installed.

JGit and EGit support the git option core.excludesfile. It doesn't matter if you set this option by using the git config command,
EGit ("Preferences > Team > Git > Configuration") or by manually editing ~/.gitconfig using a text editor.

You are using an outdated version of Eclipse and probably also EGit, the latest release of Eclipse is 2019-12 [1] and JGit/EGit 5.6.1 [2].

[1] https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/
[2] https://www.eclipse.org/egit/download/
Previous Topic:Can you and how to connect to azure devops git supported?
Next Topic:Mutiple user support
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 13:55:50 GMT 2024