Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Can one display Block Comments in a Compartment?
Can one display Block Comments in a Compartment? [message #1772444] Sun, 10 September 2017 00:45 Go to next message
Brad Crochet is currently offline Brad CrochetFriend
I'm finding it would be handy sometimes to be able to display Comments applied to a Block directly on the diagram in a Compartment (I am aware I can put comments on the diagram as separate elements). It may not be strictly UML, but is anyone out there doing something like this, and if so, how?

Thanks!

[Updated on: Sun, 10 September 2017 01:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Can one display Block Comments in a Compartment? [message #1772451 is a reply to message #1772444] Sun, 10 September 2017 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carsten Pitz is currently offline Carsten PitzFriend
Hi Brad,
how about the UML way doing that very job?
Simply drag n' drop the owned or applied commentsyou like to be displayed onto the diagram.
You have to link them manually. Actually I feel it would be a nice feature, if the link would be done implicitely. But I'll think a little longe on that feature especially on its implications.
/Carsten
Re: Can one display Block Comments in a Compartment? [message #1772453 is a reply to message #1772444] Sun, 10 September 2017 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carsten Pitz is currently offline Carsten PitzFriend
Hi Brad,
I somehow overlooked your second post on displaying stereotype values (https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/1088763/).

Am I right your aim is documentation?

If this is the case, please take a look at the Eclipse GenDoc project (https://www.eclipse.org/gendoc/). With GenDoc you can generate Microsoft Word or Libre-/OpenOffice documents based on your Eclipse Papyrus models. These documents can include the comments, the stereotype values and other model information as document text. I personally favor such generated documents over diagrams showing IMHO to much detail.

/Carsten
Re: Can one display Block Comments in a Compartment? [message #1773202 is a reply to message #1772453] Sat, 23 September 2017 20:52 Go to previous message
Brad Crochet is currently offline Brad CrochetFriend
Wow...I was not aware of Gendoc. I'm going to have to take a closer look at that soon.

You're comment about diagrams with too much detail gets close to the heart of the matter. I'm sometimes inclined to relatively long block or attribute names as a way of communicating information on the diagram. Papyrus does not, at least in my current version, allow multi-line text in any place except Comments. So really, when I asked my question, I was mostly exploring was of getting multi-line text into a block on a BDD. I have since better understood the more usual UML use of Comments, and am working with that just fine (thanks for the pointer, by the way).

Thanks a bunch for sharing some wisdom!
Previous Topic:I cannot permanently hide the <<Block>> compartment...bug?
Next Topic:How to specialize a SysML diagram for user defined usage
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 17:06:19 GMT 2024