Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Documentation of Eclipse "surrogate" installation
Documentation of Eclipse "surrogate" installation [message #1840936] Thu, 29 April 2021 08:17 Go to next message
Konrad Jünemann is currently offline Konrad JünemannFriend
Hi,

when you install Eclipse into a read-only place, Eclipse will create a very small ~/.eclipse installation in your home directory. I've seen this work personally before.

Ed Merks also mentions this behavior here: https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/1081315/

I am trying to reproduce this behaviour but having problems with it. I currently tried to copy the whole eclipse-folder with one user and then tried to run eclipse with another user. This second user could still create new files though, but not edit existing files. This method did not work though (Error reading configuration: mypath\eclipse\configuration\...\.fileTableLock)

How can I activate this "surrogate" mode in eclipse? Is there any documentation about what exactly triggers it? I was not able to find any documentation.

Re: Documentation of Eclipse "surrogate" installation [message #1840944 is a reply to message #1840936] Thu, 29 April 2021 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Note that I'd be a little concerned with copying an installation after it has been launched. It's quite tricky on windows to manually make something read-only. Are you sure you've done that properly? I.e., it sounds like the folders are not read-only... Only being read-only triggers the behavior. In the past this was tested by trying to create a file in one of the installations folder so all the folders really do need to be read-only.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Documentation of Eclipse "surrogate" installation [message #1840977 is a reply to message #1840944] Thu, 29 April 2021 17:29 Go to previous message
Konrad Jünemann is currently offline Konrad JünemannFriend
Hi,

you are right, I did not set the rights correclty. After I fixed that, it worked! For me it even worked with the configurations (hotkeys etc) I set before I made the installation read only. The settings could still be changed afterwards in the surrogate .eclipse-folder.

Anyway, I found this page in the Eclipse help which was quite helpful.
https://help.eclipse.org/2021-03/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/reference/misc/multi_user_installs.html

Thanks for your help!
Previous Topic:Forum guidance?
Next Topic:Eclipse 2018-09 32 bits and Java 11+
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 03:17:43 GMT 2024