Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Epsilon » EuGENia and QVTo, dependency hell.(EuGENia)
EuGENia and QVTo, dependency hell. [message #1798046] Sun, 11 November 2018 20:34 Go to next message
Perdita Stevens is currently offline Perdita StevensFriend
I'm trying to update a student exercise covering very basic use of EuGENia, from two years ago. This time I'm running into problems. I'm using Eclipse Photon and have just installed all the stable Epsilon components. I create an empty EMF project, make a simple ecore model, annotate it, and pick Eugenia->Generate GMF editor.

I get an error,
An internal error occurred during: "Generating all GMF models".
org.eclipse.m2m.internal.qvt.oml.compiler.QVTOCompiler.compile(Lorg/eclipse/m2m/internal/qvt/oml/compiler/UnitProxy;Lorg/ec\
lipse/m2m/internal/qvt/oml/compiler/QvtCompilerOptions;Lorg/eclipse/emf/common/util/Monitor;)Lorg/eclipse/m2m/internal/qvt/\
oml/compiler/CompiledUnit;

and browsing around a bit, it seems this is because EuGENia's use of GMF requires an old version, 3.4.0, of QVTo - right?

Unfortunately, it seems I can't sensibly uninstall my version of QVTo and install the old version instead, because I (or rather, the students in my class) also use Papyrus Designer, which requires the later version, apparently.

Do I have any easy options, other than giving up on EuGENia for now? (That's fairly low-cost - I just want to give the students a taster of some DSML tooling, and I don't really care which . Recommendations of friendly Eclipse-based (or web-based: anyway, I can't install new software other than in Eclipse, in this lab) DSML tooling suitable for showing a bunch of students in one lab would be welcome - Sirius? Is there an easy way in?)

[Updated on: Sun, 11 November 2018 20:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: EuGENia and QVTo, dependency hell. [message #1798047 is a reply to message #1798046] Sun, 11 November 2018 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dimitris Kolovos is currently offline Dimitris KolovosFriend

Hi Perdita,

> Do I have any easy options, other than giving up on EuGENia for now?

I can't think of another option with the current versions of GMF Tooling/QVTo I'm afraid. Ed Willink has filed a relevant bug report for QVTo which should improve things when it get addressed:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=540971

Thanks,
Dimitris

Re: EuGENia and QVTo, dependency hell. [message #1798051 is a reply to message #1798047] Sun, 11 November 2018 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks - yes, it was a long shot that you'd have a magic solution! It's a pity; I fear the overriding impression I leave students with, after a course where almost every lab introduces new tooling, is that the Eclipse tools world is very flaky. Contemplating jumping into some walled garden for c next presentation, but which...?
Re: EuGENia and QVTo, dependency hell. [message #1798156 is a reply to message #1798051] Tue, 13 November 2018 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Perdita,

Updating QVTo to the version in [1] seems to be doing the trick. Below are the steps I followed to test this:

- I started with an Eclipse/Epsilon distribution from [2]
- I updated to Epsilon 1.5.1 from http://download.eclipse.org/epsilon/updates/
- I installed Xtext and Papyrus on it from http://download.eclipse.org/releases/photon
- I updated QVTo from [1]
- I restarted and tried creating a GMF editor with Eugenia [3], a small language with Xtext and a UML class diagram with Papyrus, all of which were successful.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Dimitris

[1] https://hudson.eclipse.org/qvt-oml/job/qvto-branch-tests/70/artifact/releng/org.eclipse.qvto.releng.build-site/target/org.eclipse.qvto-3.9.1.N20181109-1902.zip
[2] https://www.eclipse.org/epsilon/download/
[3] https://www.eclipse.org/epsilon/doc/articles/eugenia-gmf-tutorial/
Re: EuGENia and QVTo, dependency hell. [message #1798171 is a reply to message #1798156] Tue, 13 November 2018 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Dimitris,

That definitely looks like progress - thank you! It gets rid of the error message I quoted. Curiously it does not yet get me a GMF editor - though I do get an EMF model creation wizard out of it! I still have a lot of error messages (some relating to Papyrus Designer - it may be that this, not Papyrus, is specifically a problem, but I can tell the students to lose PD if necessary...) Probably the best thing for me to do now is to follow exactly the Eugenia tutorial, rather than trying to adapt my own lab. Will report back. (I have a week before this lab has to either work or be abandoned!)

Perdita
Re: EuGENia and QVTo, dependency hell. [message #1798174 is a reply to message #1798171] Tue, 13 November 2018 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Great - sounds like progress indeed! I'd be more than happy to help debug this if you could share a list of instructions that I can use to replicate your Eclipse installation.

Thanks,
Dimitris
Re: EuGENia and QVTo, dependency hell. [message #1798341 is a reply to message #1798174] Thu, 15 November 2018 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Update: it works, at least well enough that it's worth running the lab, assuming I can get it to work for my students. Less good news is that I'm not entirely sure what it is that meant it works now and didn't work before... I'm suspecting that I didn't have (the right version of?) GMF Tooling (as mentioned at https://www.eclipse.org/epsilon/download/ ) when I was trying before. But having written instructions for the students to start from where they are, I'll get my TA to try them out and see what happens...

Incidentally, I had to give up on following the Eugenia tutorial and go back to working with my old lab, for the rather trivial reason that the Eugenia tutorial gives its ecore model in Emfatic syntax, and I've never managed to make Emfatic work for me. In 2016 I tried quite hard - in 2018, as soon as I had trouble with it, and observing that it's still "Incubation" and dated 2015, I gave up and went back to using the OCLinEcore syntax (which the students know because they use it earlier). Do you still use Emfatic, in fact? Maybe it would be nice if the Eugenia tutorial offered a downloadable version of the actual ecore file it uses, rather than readers having to either use the Emfatic editor or translate the syntax to their preferred one manually.

Thanks for your help!
Re: EuGENia and QVTo, dependency hell. [message #1798346 is a reply to message #1798341] Thu, 15 November 2018 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Perdita,

I've been using Emfatic for a while now and never really had problems with it. A downloadable Ecore version of the metamodel in the Eugenia tutorial is available under [1] and I will add a link to it in the article itself shortly.

Thanks,
Dimitris

[1] https://git.eclipse.org/c/epsilon/org.eclipse.epsilon.git/tree/examples/org.eclipse.epsilon.eugenia.examples.filesystem/model/filesystem.ecore
Re: EuGENia and QVTo, dependency hell. [message #1819062 is a reply to message #1798346] Mon, 06 January 2020 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Clever Alves is currently offline Clever AlvesFriend
Hi!

Quote:
I've been using Emfatic for a while now and never really had problems with it.

Could you please tell me whether it is also possible to convert an Emfatic source file into an Ecore file?

I think Epsilon can do the other way around, can't it?

Thank you for your attention.

Regards,

Clever.
Re: EuGENia and QVTo, dependency hell. [message #1819073 is a reply to message #1819062] Tue, 07 January 2020 09:17 Go to previous message

Hi Clever,

Yes - you can go both ways. You just need to right click on your .emf/.ecore file in Eclipse's project/package explorer and select the respective menu item.

Cheers,
Dimitris
Previous Topic:Creating a custom ANT task that extends ExecutableModuleTask
Next Topic:ETL execution engine
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 13:53:20 GMT 2024