Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Jubula » Testing Sirius based editor
Testing Sirius based editor [message #1709018] Wed, 23 September 2015 10:50 Go to next message
Octavian Horvat is currently offline Octavian HorvatFriend
Hi,

My AUT is a custom IDE based on Eclipse Modeling Tools Luna. The IDE has a Sirius 3.0 based model editor with some node and links.
I've tried writing an automated test for this editor that selects a node from the editor palette and drops it onto the diagram. The problem is that I'm unable to select the node because there does not seem to be a corresponding textpath.
The object mapping doesn't recognize the editor as a component and the Inspector view doesn't show anything with a blue rectangle.
Is there a way to get the Inspector View to work correctly with my Sirius editor palette?

Thanks in advance.
Re: Testing Sirius based editor [message #1709037 is a reply to message #1709018] Wed, 23 September 2015 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexandra Schladebeck is currently offline Alexandra SchladebeckFriend
Hi Octavian,

Thanks for your query. Can you say which version of Eclipse and which version of the GEF framework (I'm assuming it's GEF?) you are using?

Thanks for the additional information!
Alex
Re: Testing Sirius based editor [message #1709122 is a reply to message #1709037] Thu, 24 September 2015 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Octavian Horvat is currently offline Octavian HorvatFriend
Hi Alexandra,

The Eclipse version is 4.2.2, GEF version 3.9 and I'm trying to test a Sirius v3.0 based model editor.

Thanks,
Octavian
Re: Testing Sirius based editor [message #1709158 is a reply to message #1709122] Thu, 24 September 2015 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Octavian,

Thanks for the extra details. Unfortunately, the current GEF support doesn't cover Eclipse 4 applications. We have analysed what would be necessary to allow GEF support for Eclipse 4 applications that use the compatibility layer, but it's not planned for an upcoming sprint. If you're interested in helping us work on the support (either from a development or a financial perspective), then get in contact with us via testing.bredex.de.

There's some more information in this thread too: https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/1070266/
Best regards,
Alex
Re: Testing Sirius based editor [message #1709389 is a reply to message #1709158] Mon, 28 September 2015 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Niels Brouwers is currently offline Niels BrouwersFriend
Hi Alexandra,

thanks for replying so quickly on Octavian's question. Let me answer your question with the best knowledge I have.

To my understanding the Eclipse UI plugins we develop are using Eclipse 3.x technology. Within an Eclipse 4.x installation, such plugins (e.g. wizards, menu contributions, etc.) are executed on top of the compatibility layer. We have been successful in creating test cases with Jubula to test 'normal' UI interactions and were under the impression that this is working correctly. Are you suggesting we might run into problems when continue to test our Eclipse 3.x plugins within an Eclipse 4 installation with Jubula?

Additional to this, the product we develop contains a Sirius-based graphical editor for interacting with models. This editor uses the GMF Runtime framework, which in turn relies on GEF. I hadn't expected problems with the compatibilty layer, but apparently there is: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=414223

We have just selected the Jubula framework as the best alternative to test our product. It seemed to provide all the features we desire, including testing the product. Not being able to test the graphical editor is now being considered a blocking issue to continue using Jubula. This might lead to reconsider alternatives such as SWTBot and RCPTT.

Can you please indicate when you expect this bug to be solved? If we can have a sort of guarantee that it will be fixed in the short future (a fix was already available?), we might be able to wait for it.

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Kind regards,
Niels Brouwers.
Re: Testing Sirius based editor [message #1709521 is a reply to message #1709389] Tue, 29 September 2015 06:56 Go to previous message
Hello Niels, and thank you for the information.

There are two factors at work here. The first is the "general" Jubula support for SWT/RCP applications - and that is tried and tested for Eclipse 3.x, and 4.x (with and without compatibility layer) applications. You will be able to test your Eclipse 4.x application components with Jubula out of the box.

The second factor is the GEF support. At the moment, Eclipse 3.x GEF applications are supported. The addition of GEF support for Eclipse 4.x with compatibility layer hasn't been done yet. From my understanding, it's not necessarily particularly difficult, but the time to do it just hasn't been put aside for it. We were, as I mentioned in the other thread, looking at this for someone who wanted to sponsor the development of it, but it turned out that they didn't need it right now. With a great many requests, we often have to prioritise based on who can support the development (either in terms of contributing development or financial assistance). I'll be sure to mention that you're interested in it, but I can't at this moment offer a guarantee of when it will be done. As I mentioned to Octavian, I'm happy to chat in person about how we could work together on this. The contact form is here:
http://testing.bredex.de/contact-form.html

Should anything change in the near future, we'll mark it on the issue you referenced - you could add yourself to the cc list to be kept in the loop.

Best regards,
Alex
Previous Topic:Unable to start AUT agent
Next Topic:5009 aut start failed
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 20:01:54 GMT 2024