Last revised $Date: 2012/08/06 12:20:36 $
This plan is under continuous refinement. Please send comments about this plan to the email@example.com developer mailing list.
Note: This plan depends on the Platform Text Plan.
This section lists the goals for Eclipse 3.8 for the JDT Text and the JDT UI component as listed on the
Eclipse Project 3.8 Draft Plan.
 Scaling Up.
Monitor overall performance and memory consumption which includes the addition of new performance tests for new features.
 Design for Extensibility.
Provide APIs for clients where needed.
 Ease of Use.
Make sure we run on the e4 compatibility layer and deliver new productivity features like TBD.
 Technology Trends.
Add support for Java 7.
Start to work on Java 8 support.
This section lists the possible work items for Eclipse 3.8 for the JDT Text and the JDT UI component
with the [corresponding theme].
Some of those items have a higher priority than others.
Work items that are annotated with [component name] are delivered for another component.
Java 7 
- backport the Java 7 support to 3.7.1 6 weeks
- [> 3.8] add clean ups to convert multiple catch blocks to a single multi-catch block and vice versa (bug 351179) Deepak: 1 week
Java 8 
- [> 3.8] start to work on Java 8 features 40 weeks
Adopt New Platform Features 
- provide a way to implement refactorings that depend on resources that have to be explicitly released (bug 347599) Markus
- add enablement to Java completion proposal category extension point (patch) (bug 345213) Dani
- add extended listener support for Code Completion Interfaces (patch) (bug 350409) Dani
- make ASTRewriteCorrectionProposal and parents public API (bug 287136) Deepak
- [> 3.8] new refactoring: convert instance method to static (bug 118032) 2 weeks
- [> 3.8] decide on strategy to handle visibility errors after refactorings (and implement it correctly): Markus: 2 weeks
- Increase visibility (with info/warning message)?
- add delegation if possible (with info/warning message)?
- offer possibility to "fix" warning on error page?
- [> 3.8] permanent local rename mode [experimental]
- editing always updates like "Local Rename" (automatically enter linked mode)
- investigate interplay with "refactoring only" mode
- [> 3.8] BiDi support for input fields/combos (related bugs, depends on SWT bug 230854) all: 20 weeks
- [> 3.8] improve BiDi support for complex static expressions: adopt new TextProcessor replacement (depends on SWT bug 183164) 6 weeks
- [> 3.8] create a problem if a new project specific setting is introduced (bug 300523) 1 week
- allow to associate an editor to class files which have no source (bug 360642) Dani: 2 weeks
- add Quick Assists to synchronize Java properties file and corresponding message class (bug 358384) Deepak: 2 weeks
- [> 3.8] need better choice for syntax color in high contrast mode (bug 224741) 1 week
- angle brackets wrongly auto-closed when starting at the beginning of a line (bug 347734) Deepak: 1 day
- allow to use annotations for null checking (bug 186342) Markus: 2 weeks
- support to ignore warnings from certain source folders (bug 220928) Markus: 3 days
- CamelCase pattern matching in quick outline and quick hierarchy (bug 106228) Markus
- add quick fixes and quick assist for null annotations support (bug 337977) Markus: 1 week
- make it easier to setup null analysis (bug 366014) Markus: 1 week
Call Hierarchy 
- [> 3.8] document positions not updated for call locations (bug 121900)
Type Hierarchy 
- update JUnit to its latest version (bug 356065) Markus: 2 weeks
Content Assist 
- [> 3.8] remove '>' on backspace when type arguments inserted by content assist (bug 301990) Dani: 2 days
Code Visualization 
[> 3.8] show horizontal line between methods (bug 13672) 1 week
[> 3.8] visualize code nesting (bug 69455) 2 weeks
- better matching bracket support Deepak: 4 weeks
- provide a hover (bug 184056)
- show the corresponding bracket in the ruler (bug 358347)
→ did not look good; decided to mark as WONTFIX
- highlight both matching brackets (bug 27372)
- matching bracket (Ctrl+Shift+P) should work anywhere in the file (bug 40580)
→ could be implemented as semantic highlighting
[> 3.8] [misc] draw vertical lines in control flow statements (bug 84878)
Quick views 
- [> 3.8] allow to open quick views from any Java element from any view (e.g. from the Package Explorer or Outline view) (bug 285411) 2 days
Performance And Memory Consumption 
- allow to contribute the index for binary package fragment roots (bug 364287) Deepak: 2 days
- constantly watch performance test results and act when red 5 weeks
- continue to provide new tests 1 week
- migration to Git all: 3 weeks in total
- [> 3.8] structured selection should support brackets (bug 86835) ???
- [> 3.8] replace Intro Samples Page with p2 based page 2 weeks
- new warning for missing try-with-resources (bug 349326) Deepak: 4 days (review and UI)
- 3.8 planning 1 week
- resolve bugs that got deferred from 3.7 to 3.8 all
- 3.7.1 maintenance work 3 weeks
- 3.7.2 maintenance work 3 weeks
- look at bugs with patches and review those 4 weeks
- EclipseCon Europe (preparation and attendance) Markus: 1 week
Cross Team Issues
This section contains cross team issues that have to be clarified. The
concrete outcome affects the plan items listed above.
- bug 230854 needs to be fixed in order to provide BiDi support for input fields/combos
- bug 183164 needs to be fixed in order to provide improved BiDi support for complex static expressions
- Platform Compare
- Platform UI
- JDT Core
- allow to use annotations for null checking (bug 186342)
- allow to contribute the index for binary package fragment roots (bug 356620)
- new warning for missing try-with-resources (bug 349326)
- JDT Debug