Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Epsilon » Eugenia: problem running example filesystem
Eugenia: problem running example filesystem [message #1850227] Tue, 22 February 2022 10:22 Go to next message
jo ber is currently offline jo berFriend
Hi
I've cloned the filesystem [1] example but it fails when I open the diagram editor on a sample file. The error reported is shown in the screenshot below:
index.php/fa/41692/0/

Can you please let me know where I might have make a mistake?

Thank you and kind regards.

[1] https://git.eclipse.org/c/epsilon/org.eclipse.epsilon.git/tree/examples/org.eclipse.epsilon.eugenia.examples.filesystem
  • Attachment: Eugenia.PNG
    (Size: 71.29KB, Downloaded 646 times)
Re: Eugenia: problem running example filesystem [message #1850235 is a reply to message #1850227] Tue, 22 February 2022 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dimitris Kolovos is currently offline Dimitris KolovosFriend

Hello,

It appears that you are attempting to open a model (.filesystem) file with the generated diagram editor. You should create a new "Filesystem Diagram" file (.filesystem_diagram) through the File->New->Other wizard, which can be edited using the diagram editor instead.

Best,
Dimitris
Re: Eugenia: problem running example filesystem [message #1850241 is a reply to message #1850235] Tue, 22 February 2022 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thank you for an answer, that's solve my issue!
Re: Eugenia: problem running example filesystem [message #1850242 is a reply to message #1850241] Tue, 22 February 2022 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One thing I don't understand is how the project 'org.eclipse.epsilon.eugenia.examples.filesystem.diagram' is generated (I've not found in the info in the main documentation for Eugenia)?
Re: Eugenia: problem running example filesystem [message #1850244 is a reply to message #1850242] Tue, 22 February 2022 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Eugenia generates the .gmfgraph, .gmfmap, .gmftool and .gmfgen files required by GMF from the annotated metamodel and then it invokes the GMF generator which produces the .diagram plugin. Does this answer your question?

Best,
Dimitris
Re: Eugenia: problem running example filesystem [message #1850245 is a reply to message #1850244] Tue, 22 February 2022 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, just figured out, thank you.
But, when I generate the diagram project, it seems that GMF has dependencies with QVTo and an error occurs (likely due to non maintained code).
By any chance, do you know which version of GMF Tooling and QVTo you have used in your project?

Kind regards,
Re: Eugenia: problem running example filesystem [message #1850246 is a reply to message #1850245] Tue, 22 February 2022 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Versions of QVTo >= 3.9.1 should all work with with GMF Tooling (see [1]).

Best,
Dimitris

[1] https://www.eclipse.org/epsilon/download/1.x/#dependencies

[Updated on: Tue, 22 February 2022 15:36]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eugenia: problem running example filesystem [message #1850270 is a reply to message #1850246] Wed, 23 February 2022 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thank you. The version I had was outdated.

Kind regards,
Re: Eugenia: problem running example filesystem [message #1852145 is a reply to message #1850235] Mon, 02 May 2022 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carlos Soares is currently offline Carlos SoaresFriend
Dimitris Kolovos wrote on Tue, 22 February 2022 08:27
Hello,

It appears that you are attempting to open a model (.filesystem) file with the generated diagram editor. You should create a new "Filesystem Diagram" file (.filesystem_diagram) through the File->New->Other wizard, which can be edited using the diagram editor instead.

Best,
Dimitris

Hello, Prof. Dimitris. I recently started studying MDE from your Youtube videos. In this same step of the "Graphical Modelling using GMF and Eugenia" video, I've got a problem generating diagrams with Eugenia. After I "run as eclipse application", it's not available to create a flowchart diagram option. I have tried to use a fresh install of Epsilon/Eclipse and another computer, but it still does not work. I've created the Filesystem example too, but I've had no success. In both cases, the only option available is to create a new flowchart/filesystem model.

Allowing me to ask another question, I saw that Eugenia is now outdated, and its site recommends Sirius. In your opinion, is Sirius the state-of-art successor of EMF/Emfatic/GMF/Eugenia?

Thanks.
Carlos.
Re: Eugenia: problem running example filesystem [message #1852163 is a reply to message #1852145] Tue, 03 May 2022 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Carlos,

When you run Eugenia, does a project with a name ending in ".diagram" get generated in your workspace?

> Allowing me to ask another question, I saw that Eugenia is now outdated, and its site recommends Sirius. In your opinion, is Sirius the state-of-art successor of EMF/Emfatic/GMF/Eugenia?

This is correct. Alternatively, if you only need read-only graphical views, you could also consider Picto.

Best,
Dimitris
Re: Eugenia: problem running example filesystem [message #1852178 is a reply to message #1852163] Tue, 03 May 2022 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dimitris Kolovos wrote on Tue, 03 May 2022 04:44
Hi Carlos,

When you run Eugenia, does a project with a name ending in ".diagram" get generated in your workspace?

> Allowing me to ask another question, I saw that Eugenia is now outdated, and its site recommends Sirius. In your opinion, is Sirius the state-of-art successor of EMF/Emfatic/GMF/Eugenia?

This is correct. Alternatively, if you only need read-only graphical views, you could also consider Picto.

Best,
Dimitris

Hello, Prof. Dimitris. Thanks for your answer. I have just seen that this diagram file is not being generated, only files: genmodel, gmfgen, gmfgraph, gmfmap and gmftool. I've even tried to change jdk/jre (current, 1.8, 1.6, and 1.5) version and operational system (from linux to windows), and did not generate this diagram file. Is there a tip to solve this?

Thanks.
Carlos.
Re: Eugenia: problem running example filesystem [message #1852179 is a reply to message #1852178] Tue, 03 May 2022 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Could you please share your Emfatic metamodel?

Best,
Dimitris

[Updated on: Tue, 03 May 2022 18:28]

Re: Eugenia: problem running example filesystem [message #1852181 is a reply to message #1852179] Wed, 04 May 2022 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sure, I upload both files (filesystem.emf and flowchart.emf).

Thank you so much for your attention.
Carlos.
Re: Eugenia: problem running example filesystem [message #1852185 is a reply to message #1852181] Wed, 04 May 2022 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Both metamodels look fine. Do you see any relevant errors in the Error Log view? (Window -> Show View -> Error Log). Also have you installed Epsilon through the Eclipse Installer as instructed in https://www.eclipse.org/epsilon/download/?

Best,
Dimitris
Re: Eugenia: problem running example filesystem [message #1852194 is a reply to message #1852185] Wed, 04 May 2022 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Prof. Dimitris. As you can see in the attached image, there are no errors on Log View and no relevant warnings on projects. I've installed Eclipse using the compacted file of the modeling project, followed by Epsilon and EMF packages installation using the "Install new software"/update sites.
I will try to install a fresh installation again using the Eclipse Installed as you asked, and I'll give you feedback.

Thanks.
Carlos.
  • Attachment: prtscr.png
    (Size: 148.02KB, Downloaded 100 times)
Re: Eugenia: problem running example filesystem [message #1852195 is a reply to message #1852194] Wed, 04 May 2022 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

If GMF Tooling was properly installed, your .gmfgen model should have a different icon. I suspect that a fresh installation using the Eclipse Installer will solve this issue but please let me know if it doesn't.

Best,
Dimitris
Re: Eugenia: problem running example filesystem [message #1852205 is a reply to message #1852195] Wed, 04 May 2022 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Prof. Dimitris. Since my last reply, I have tried to install using Eclipse Installer, but I'm getting some errors. Inside Epsilon (Eclipse.org Applications, as in site instructions) custom install, I selected EMF, EcoreTools, and GMF Notation. First, I thought it was some internet proxy problem at university, but I also tried at home, and I saw that some repository is failing, as you can see in the attached image. I'll continue trying.
About the .genmodel file, it's opening normally. But, I'll investigate it more. What Epsilon packages do you choose to install?

Thanks so much for your attention,
Carlos.
  • Attachment: prtscr2.png
    (Size: 118.36KB, Downloaded 120 times)
Re: Eugenia: problem running example filesystem [message #1852208 is a reply to message #1852205] Wed, 04 May 2022 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

If you download the Eclipse Installer from https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Installer and run it, you should be able to select Epsilon from the list of products as shown in the first screenshot on https://www.eclipse.org/epsilon/download/ and then follow the wizard to completion. Could you please try this and let me know how it goes?

Best,
Dimitris
Re: Eugenia: problem running example filesystem [message #1852209 is a reply to message #1852208] Wed, 04 May 2022 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Prof. Dimitris. I've successfully installed a fresh Epsilon using Eclipse Installer, selecting it from the list, as you mentioned. I performed all the steps from scratch: create emfatic file, generate ecore model, register epackages and then run the Eugenia/Generate GMF editor. The "flowchart.diagram" file still wasn't generated, but "flowchart.diagram" project was. All the projects has some warnings, most of them are about Java Problems. The "flowchart.gmfgen" file icon is different from the old one, as you say too. Finally, I run the flowchart project as "Eclipse Application", create a new general project, and, again, only the flowchart model option is available, not the diagram. I keep investigating this.

Thanks,
Carlos.
  • Attachment: prtscr3.png
    (Size: 187.41KB, Downloaded 106 times)
Re: Eugenia: problem running example filesystem [message #1852210 is a reply to message #1852209] Wed, 04 May 2022 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

In my setup the new "Flowchart Diagram" wizard is in the "Examples" category under File -> New -> Other. Is this not the case for you?

Thanks,
Dimitris
Re: Eugenia: problem running example filesystem [message #1852212 is a reply to message #1852210] Wed, 04 May 2022 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Prof. Dimitris. It was exactly where I expected it to be, but unfortunately, it was not. Take a look at another attached print. I'll keep trying.

Thanks,
Carlos.
  • Attachment: prtscr4.png
    (Size: 182.37KB, Downloaded 102 times)
Re: Eugenia: problem running example filesystem [message #1852213 is a reply to message #1852212] Wed, 04 May 2022 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

In you screenshot I see that the JRE of your flowchart project is "jdk1.6.0-45" while the JRE of your diagram project is "JavaSE-17". Could you please try to use Java 11 for everything in case it makes a difference?

Thanks,
Dimitris

[Updated on: Wed, 04 May 2022 23:26]

Re: Eugenia: problem running example filesystem [message #1852214 is a reply to message #1852213] Thu, 05 May 2022 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Prof. Dimitris. In the old installation, I chose the java version as the requirement on the manifest to reduce warnings. In this one, I still haven't tried other versions. As you suggest, I just set all projects to JavaSE11 and run, and eclipse freezes on the splash screen. I don't know why. I tried OpenJDK 11 and OracleJDK 11, and both froze. I changed it to a major one (17, 18) and ran normally.

Thanks,
Carlos.
Re: Eugenia: problem running example filesystem [message #1852227 is a reply to message #1852214] Thu, 05 May 2022 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Prof. Dimitris. Let me update you. I did some other fresh installs setting a different java version in each one to investigate what happens to freeze on the splash screen with Java11, and I realized that it is causing some "FrameworkEvent error" in ecore. I'm still investigating this.
Thanks,
Carlos.
  • Attachment: prtscr5.png
    (Size: 59.56KB, Downloaded 98 times)

[Updated on: Thu, 05 May 2022 12:54]

Re: Eugenia: problem running example filesystem [message #1852239 is a reply to message #1852227] Thu, 05 May 2022 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I installed Epsilon on Linux Mint with Java 11 and got the same errors. I've used the Eclipse Installer. I'll try with some other java versions on Linux to see if it works.
Thanks,
Carlos.
  • Attachment: prtscr6.png
    (Size: 96.89KB, Downloaded 95 times)
Re: Eugenia: problem running example filesystem [message #1852254 is a reply to message #1852239] Fri, 06 May 2022 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Antonio Garcia-Dominguez is currently offline Antonio Garcia-DominguezFriend

Just chipping in: can you double click on those errors and paste in the details here? I recall that in very recent releases, GMF has started to run into conflicts with other Eclipse libraries due to mismatched versions of a third-party dependency (Apache Batik, a vector graphics library). You may want to try older versions of Eclipse as well - unfortunately, GMF is not being actively updated at the moment.

Another thing that you can try: in the nested Eclipse execution (the one you get when you run as "Eclipse Application"), try going to the Console view, use "New - OSGi console", and enter "ss diagram" to search for the diagram plugin. If you see a ".diagram" bundle, try using "diag ID" (where ID is the number that is printed next to it) - it may explain why that plugin is failing to activate. If you do not see that ".diagram" bundle, you may need to further investigate the "Run as Eclipse Application" launch configuration for issues.
Re: Eugenia: problem running example filesystem [message #1852261 is a reply to message #1852254] Fri, 06 May 2022 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Antonio Garcia-Dominguez wrote on Fri, 06 May 2022 06:20
Just chipping in: can you double click on those errors and paste in the details here? I recall that in very recent releases, GMF has started to run into conflicts with other Eclipse libraries due to mismatched versions of a third-party dependency (Apache Batik, a vector graphics library). You may want to try older versions of Eclipse as well - unfortunately, GMF is not being actively updated at the moment.

Another thing that you can try: in the nested Eclipse execution (the one you get when you run as "Eclipse Application"), try going to the Console view, use "New - OSGi console", and enter "ss diagram" to search for the diagram plugin. If you see a ".diagram" bundle, try using "diag ID" (where ID is the number that is printed next to it) - it may explain why that plugin is failing to activate. If you do not see that ".diagram" bundle, you may need to further investigate the "Run as Eclipse Application" launch configuration for issues.

Hi, Professor Antonio. Thanks for your reply. I attached the log file to you to see the error message details. I appreciate your help, and I'll now try to do what you suggested, and in a while, I'll give feedback.
Thanks,
Carlos.
Re: Eugenia: problem running example filesystem [message #1852263 is a reply to message #1852261] Fri, 06 May 2022 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Antonio Garcia-Dominguez is currently offline Antonio Garcia-DominguezFriend

Hi Carlos,

Dimitris is a professor, I'm just a doctor :-D. Looking at your log, those errors do seem to be coming from the Batik issue I mentioned. See here:

-> Bundle-SymbolicName: org.eclipse.gmf.runtime.diagram.ui.printing.render; bundle-version="1.8.0.202202190902"
  Bundle was not resolved because of a uses constraint violation.
  org.apache.felix.resolver.reason.ReasonException: Uses constraint violation. Unable to resolve resource org.eclipse.gmf.runtime.diagram.ui.printing.render [osgi.identity; type="osgi.bundle"; version:Version="1.8.0.202202190902"; osgi.identity="org.eclipse.gmf.runtime.diagram.ui.printing.render"] because it is exposed to package 'org.w3c.dom.events' from resources org.eclipse.osgi [osgi.identity; type="osgi.bundle"; version:Version="3.17.200.v20220215-2237"; osgi.identity="org.eclipse.osgi"; singleton:="true"] and org.w3c.dom.events [osgi.identity; type="osgi.bundle"; version:Version="3.0.0.draft20060413_v201105210656"; osgi.identity="org.w3c.dom.events"] via two dependency chains.

I'd suggest either asking at the GMF forum if other people have run into this issue, or trying older versions of Eclipse.

Best,
Antonio
Re: Eugenia: problem running example filesystem [message #1852265 is a reply to message #1852263] Fri, 06 May 2022 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Antonio, Sorry for my mistake. Take a look at the "ss diagram" result on the osgi console:

WARNING: This console is connected to the current running instance of Eclipse!
osgi> ss diagram
"Framework is launched."

id	State       Bundle
224	STARTING    org.eclipse.emf.compare.diagram_2.5.2.202202240907
225	STARTING    org.eclipse.emf.compare.diagram.edit_2.5.2.202202240907
226	STARTING    org.eclipse.emf.compare.diagram.ide.ui_3.4.3.202202240907
227	STARTING    org.eclipse.emf.compare.diagram.ide.ui.sirius_1.1.1.202202240907
228	STARTING    org.eclipse.emf.compare.diagram.sirius_1.1.0.202202240907
603	STARTING    org.eclipse.gmf.examples.runtime.diagram.geoshapes_1.8.0.202202190902
604	STARTING    org.eclipse.gmf.examples.runtime.diagram.logic_1.7.0.202202190902
605	STARTING    org.eclipse.gmf.examples.runtime.diagram.logic.model_1.2.0.202202190902
606	STARTING    org.eclipse.gmf.examples.runtime.diagram.logic.model.edit_1.2.0.202202190902
607	STARTING    org.eclipse.gmf.examples.runtime.diagram.logic.model.editor_1.2.0.202202190902
625	ACTIVE      org.eclipse.gmf.runtime.diagram.core_1.7.0.202202190902
626	ACTIVE      org.eclipse.gmf.runtime.diagram.ui_1.9.0.202202190902
627	STARTING    org.eclipse.gmf.runtime.diagram.ui.actions_1.7.0.202202190902
628	STARTING    org.eclipse.gmf.runtime.diagram.ui.dnd_1.7.0.202202190902
629	STARTING    org.eclipse.gmf.runtime.diagram.ui.geoshapes_1.7.0.202202190902
630	STARTING    org.eclipse.gmf.runtime.diagram.ui.printing_1.7.0.202202190902
631	STARTING    org.eclipse.gmf.runtime.diagram.ui.printing.render_1.8.0.202202190902
632	ACTIVE      org.eclipse.gmf.runtime.diagram.ui.properties_1.8.0.202202190902
633	STARTING    org.eclipse.gmf.runtime.diagram.ui.providers_1.7.0.202202190902
634	STARTING    org.eclipse.gmf.runtime.diagram.ui.providers.ide_1.7.0.202202190902
635	STARTING    org.eclipse.gmf.runtime.diagram.ui.render_1.7.2.202202190902
636	STARTING    org.eclipse.gmf.runtime.diagram.ui.resources.editor_1.7.0.202202190902
637	STARTING    org.eclipse.gmf.runtime.diagram.ui.resources.editor.ide_1.7.0.202202190902
833	STARTING    org.eclipse.sirius.diagram_7.0.0.202202231547
834	STARTING    org.eclipse.sirius.diagram.formatdata_7.0.0.202202231547
835	STARTING    org.eclipse.sirius.diagram.model_7.0.0.202202231547
836	STARTING    org.eclipse.sirius.diagram.sequence_7.0.0.202202231547
837	STARTING    org.eclipse.sirius.diagram.sequence.edit_7.0.0.202202231547
838	STARTING    org.eclipse.sirius.diagram.sequence.model_7.0.0.202202231547
839	STARTING    org.eclipse.sirius.diagram.sequence.ui_7.0.0.202202231547
840	STARTING    org.eclipse.sirius.diagram.ui_7.0.0.202202231547
841	STARTING    org.eclipse.sirius.diagram.ui.ext_7.0.0.202202231547
osgi>

As you suggest, I'll first try to use an old version of eclipse, and I'll tell you if it works. After, I will search for these errors on GMF Forums, and I'll let you know if I find something useful.

Thank you very much,
Carlos.
Re: Eugenia: problem running example filesystem [message #1852275 is a reply to message #1852265] Sat, 07 May 2022 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Carlos,

In case you haven't already got Eugenia working on a previous version of Eclipse, if you try to install 2.4/Interim now through the Eclipse Installer, it will fetch version 2021-12 of Eclipse, with which Eugenia still works fine. Could you please give it a try and let me know how it goes?

Best,
Dimitris
Re: Eugenia: problem running example filesystem [message #1852278 is a reply to message #1852275] Sat, 07 May 2022 20:54 Go to previous message
Hi Antonio and Professor Dimitris, I'd like to thank you for your attention and dedication to helping me. I finally got Eugenia working at Epsilon 2.4 using Eclipse Version: 2021-12 (4.22) and JDK 11 on IDE and projects. I've used the advanced installation, selected Epsilon under "Eclipse.org Applications" on the next screen, and then, the most important, I did not select anything on the next screen. I first tried to select Ecore/EMF/GMF Notation on this step and got an error of a "No repository found".

ERROR: org.eclipse.equinox.p2.metadata.repository code=1000 No repository found at http://mbarbero.github.io/fr.obeo.releng.targetplatform/p2/.
  at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.helpers.AbstractRepositoryManager.fail(AbstractRepositoryManager.java:405)
  at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
  at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:77)
  at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
  at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:568)
  at org.eclipse.oomph.util.ReflectUtil.invokeMethod(ReflectUtil.java:119)
  at org.eclipse.oomph.p2.internal.core.CachingRepositoryManager.fail(CachingRepositoryManager.java:386)
  at org.eclipse.oomph.p2.internal.core.CachingRepositoryManager.loadRepository(CachingRepositoryManager.java:277)
  at org.eclipse.oomph.p2.internal.core.CachingRepositoryManager$Metadata.loadRepository(CachingRepositoryManager.java:518)
  at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.metadata.repository.MetadataRepositoryManager.loadRepository(MetadataRepositoryManager.java:110)
  at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.metadata.repository.MetadataRepositoryManager.loadRepository(MetadataRepositoryManager.java:105)
  at org.eclipse.oomph.p2.internal.core.ProfileTransactionImpl$RepositoryLoader$Worker.perform(ProfileTransactionImpl.java:1607)
  at org.eclipse.oomph.util.WorkerPool$Worker.run(WorkerPool.java:437)
  at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:63)

Thanks,
Carlos.
Previous Topic:Problem with tree2graph transformation example
Next Topic:Generating xml file from xml model from java code
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 07:23:44 GMT 2024