[xtext-dev] Why does Rename Element in a dsl plugin triggers build for the project before rename ? How to remove it?

Hello xtext developers,

We have few dsl plugins generated with xtext and some custom projects that has a custom builder (which executes a long time running script) .

When I try to use the  inherited from xtext feature ‘Rename Element’ for a dsl file, it triggers full workspace build, or one single project build, which eventually calls our long running script.

Basically we can not use rename action, because we have to wait about 5 minutes till script ends and Rename dialog will be visible.

Why does it happens by default and how to remove it?

I have reproduced it in a demo workflow:

1.       I have installed eclipse ide for DSL https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/release/2019-06/r/eclipse-ide-java-and-dsl-developers

2.       Created demo dsl plugins based on 15 Minutes Tutorial https://www.eclipse.org/Xtext/documentation/102_domainmodelwalkthrough.html

3.       Generated java sources and run eclipse

4.       In demo workspace created a demo project ( TestDSL), and on its Right Click -> Properties added a second builder, a simple ant script (the Test.ant):

Any time when I try to use Rename Element it first triggers the project build.

If I uncheck the ANT build (From Project Properties -> Builders), this is not triggered any more. But I do need it checked, and I would like to be able to use Rename Element as well. How to disable it?

Thank you in advance

Kind Regards

Lidia

Back to the top