Re: [xtext-dev] 0.7.1 and beyond

To put it more bluntly, what's the threshold? Will we only fix bugs, or will we add features?

Generally I would like all of us to concentrate on the bugs and missing documentation as opposed to adding new features.

Great, that's the information I was looking for :-)

Regarding the three enhancements you listed, I'ld say that the former two are so minimal that it would be ok. The latter is not. But you should first spend your time on the prioritized items if you think you can help with any of them.

Absolutely. I agree that fixing bugs and adding missing docs is more important than adding new features for 0.7.1 - that's the reason I asked. In your original mail, this didn't become clear - at least to me :-)

I'd be fine with only fixing bugs for 0.7.1. If someone wants to work on new features, they can do this in their workspace and attach the changes as patches to the respective feature bugs (AFAIK, this is also the way the EMF team operates).

I want all of us to do not only the fun work. But contribute with bugfixes, unit tests and documentation as well. If everybody spends his time to work on new features privately, nobody will have the time to do the planned issues.

Also I'ld like to have an idea of what we want in 0.8.0 *before* everybody is adding features.

I agree. Knowing that 0.7.1=maintenance and 0.8.0=new features helps in planning, IMO.

As probably most of us have a bunch of ideas of the things to realize for the next version of Xtext (and also Xpand and MWE), we should try to come up with a plan how to plan the next release. I think it might be a good idea to come up with a list of "themes" for the next release that help us drive development on a coarse grained level. Cf. http://eclipse.org/eclipse/platform-core/planning/3.1/plan.html to see how the Eclipse platform team used themes to manage their new features.

NB: I do NOT intend to try to introduce a waterfall process, if that's what you think. Writing down the list of major topics / themes for the next release helps to concentrate on the relevant features. Should we realize that certain features become important, but do not match any existing theme, we can always introduce new themes.

It would also be nice to agree on a period in which we set up the initial plan for the next release, so everybody knows that up to this point new themes and features can be discussed and added to the plan. After that, we should try to streamline the plan. Again, adding new features that become important as we go *should definitely be possible*. After all, it's just a plan and not carved in stone.

Just my suggestions. Feel free to discuss.

Cheers,
Peter

Back to the top