From: Neil Hauge <neil.hauge@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "WTP PMC communications (including coordination, announcements,        and Group discussions)" <wtp-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 01/20/2010 11:32 AM
Subject: [wtp-pmc] Dali version change - 3.0 -> 2.3
Sent by: wtp-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

PMC,

I meant to bring this up yesterday in our meeting, but obviously we
didn't have time for this issue.  I am proposing to change the Dali
version number of the Helios release from 3.0 -> 2.3.  Please take a
quick look at my proposal below and let me know if you see problems with
this.  I am trying to make this change for M5.

------------------------------------

In an effort to accurately follow the Eclipse Version Numbering
guidelines*, the Dali version number for Helios is being changed from
"3.0" to "2.3" to correspond with the largest version increment
experienced in the Dali plugins (2.2 -> 2.3).  Plugin versions as always
continue to be governed by the guidelines.

This change does not indicate any loss of planned functionality.  Dali
2.3 is still adding comprehensive support for JPA 2.0 and support for
EclipseLink 2.x, but due to the fact that no *Public* API has been
broken from the previous version, it is technically incorrect to
increment the major version segment of the overall Dali feature since no
plugin has incremented its major segment.

Feature version numbers will be changed in code and 3.0 bugs will be
migrated to corresponding 2.3 buckets.  Project metadata and the project
plan will also be updated, as well as bug queries that point to 3.0
bugzilla entries.

Let me know if you have any question about this.  From what I can
deduce, this should not be problematic from a technical (install)
perspective, assuming that previous milestones are not published or
maintained on future production repositories.

Neil

* -
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Version_Numbering