Re: [wtp-pmc] Proposal - WTP mass update for old bugs

Looks good to me ... and I personally don't think of it as unpleasant ... well, I think it's unpleasant not to be able to fix each and every bug ... but, since we can't, this is a positive way to get projects and originators to focus on those bugs that are most important in current release. Hopefully project leads till at least look at the list a little ... to make sure none are 'major', or has a patch attached, etc.

Thanks,

From: Neil Hauge <neil.hauge@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "WTP PMC communications (including coordination, announcements,        and Group discussions)" <wtp-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 07/30/2008 06:12 PM
Subject: [wtp-pmc] Proposal - WTP mass update for old bugs

PMC,

Here is what I am thinking for the "old bugs" plan.  Please send any
feedback and I will incorporate it.  I'm still not ecstatic about the
mass update option.  It is open, and does reflect reality, but
unfortunately it is a unpleasant reality.  I dropped back to the Jan 1st
2007 date, which incorporates almost 600 bugs.  July 1st 2007 seemed too
recent for any mass update actions.

Project Leads,

In an effort to focus our development work around the most important
bugs and enhancements, the PMC is recommending that sub-projects triage
or (if triage is not going to be an option) mass update bugs that are
untargeted and have not been updated since Jan 1st, 2007.   The query
below identifies these bugs by component.  If you are going to mass
update the bugs in your list, please set the status to WONTFIX and use
the comment below as a template (which encourages reporters to re-open
the bug if it is still a valid and current issue).  If you are going to
manually triage the "old" list, please add the "helpwanted" keyword to
all valid bugs that will remain untargeted . This will remove them from
the below query.  Other options include setting a release target or one
of "Future" to indicate that you plan on fixing the bug, but probably
not in the next release.

"Old bugs" query:

Mass Update Comment:
This is a mass update to close out old bugs in an effort to help focus
our development around the most important bugs and enhancements, and to
be open in our planning.  This bug has been set to WONTFIX due to the
length of time it has been open without updates.  Please reopen this bug
if it is still an issue for you in a current release.  Thanks for your
help with this bug review effort.

Neil