RE: [wtp-pmc] JEM transfer (move) from VE/Tools PMC to JST/WTP PMC

+1

Raghu Srinivasan

From: wtp-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wtp-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of David M Williams
Sent: Sunday, January 14, 2007 8:51 PM
To: wtp-pmc
Subject: [wtp-pmc] JEM transfer (move) from VE/Tools PMC to JST/WTP PMC

While we discussed and agreed to this on the PMC call, it turns out it will ease our EMO documentation needs to have a vote here on the mailing list.
It appears the formal review will be schedule for 1/31, Wed., 11 AM EST.
The following is pretty much what the content of what the review will consist of.

So, PMC members, please vote.

Here's mine

+1.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

The reasons motivating the move are

1) The JEM component has always been required by both projects.

2) VE and JEM are not included in any Europa plans, and are not in M4 Europa.

3) JST has a critical dependancy on JEM so has the motivation to maintain it.

4) JST has the right skills to maintain it (Historical note: before being open source,
some of the people currently in JST worked along side some of the people that used
to be on the VE team, and since VE went open source first, that's where the component
landed, with the agreement it would be available to JST).

5) JEM will not work on Eclipse 3.3 and EMF 2.3, without some work.

The plan is

for JST to update the JEM code to work with EMF 2.3,
incorporate it into JST builds and Unit tests, and fix any serious bugs found.
(That is, we are not proposing new functions, nor updates for new levels of the Java Language).
The existing version of JEM (for the Callisto stream) will be left in place (that is, we are
not suggesting to change that stream required for Callisto).

JST will follow VE's precedent and make JEM downloadable as a separate feature,
if there is any other Eclipse Project that says they need it for Europa.

The timing of the move is urgent, since we found out late in M4 that it would not work with
EMF 2.3, and we in WTP had to "hack together" a patched version of JEM to satisfy our
WTP M4. We'd like to get the move (and builds, etc.) accomplished by M5.

Technically, we propose, all package names will remain what they are now (to cause as little churn as possible).
We will likely change the version of JEM to 2.0 to make more apparent that is does not work with
the Callisto steam (and, that our Europa required version can not be the Callisto version).

Back to the top