Re: [wtp-pmc] Request for a quick, extra maintenance release

+1

I've seen some late bugs come in from adopters. We have quite a lot of projects building on WTP and its hard to get them all lined up with their testing. However, we need to get WTP 2.0 on track too.

Arthur Ryman,
IBM Software Group, Rational Division

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@xxxxxxx

David M Williams <david_williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

09/26/2006 05:52 PM

Please respond to
"WTP PMC communications (including coordination, announcements,  and Group discussions)" <wtp-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"wtp-pmc" <wtp-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[wtp-pmc] Request for a quick, extra maintenance release

Colleagues,

As I mentioned in today's PMC meeting, I would like to request we do a quick maintenance release after 1.5.1, and before next January/February as we currently have planned.

There have been a number of critical bugs found recently (such as
158846) and some currently flagged as 'major' but which are seen as huge regressions in some contexts (such as 158623).

None of these by themselves would justify a "stop ship" of the Callisto maintenance release, but believe there will be a set of 10 or so bugs which taken as a whole would be seen as some serious
regression from previous functionality. Many of these might not even be seen by the "average" WTP user, but would frequently be seen in the context of some adopters use of WTP.

So, while the exact bug list, and exact date is only approximate, here's what I propose for your agreement (or dissent).

We will plan a 1.5.2 maintenance release approximately 10/29 (give or take a week).
We will still plan a 1.5.3 maintenance release approximately January/February with the rest of Callisto.
The fix-process for this earlier 1.5.2 will still be in "shutdown" mode, requiring PMC approval:

       meaning careful review and testing, only the worst, safest bugs allowed
       (so as to avoid regressions and not invalidate other testing).

I would like to get your votes, to this list, this week (instead of waiting for next meeting) since once approved I would like to
       announce to dev list right away

       make a new 1.5.3 target in bugzilla,
       do a "mass move" of all the bugs currently targeted to 1.5.2 and move them to 1.5.3
                (there is about 50 as of right now!, so that's way too many for our early 1.5.2!)

       begin the 1.5.2 builds and process right after 1.5.1 is done.

It is unfortunate these issues were found late, but I think we can accommodate this "extra release"  with minimal disruption,
if we keep the fixes to the bare minimum absolutely required, and it will drastically improve our perceived quality in some areas.

Sound agreeable? Sounded like it on the call today, but let me know if I heard wrong.