Re: [wtp-pmc] Resignation as the performance and release engineer

Jeffrey,

Thx for your contributions to the project. Your work has significantly improved the overall quality of WTP. You will be hard to replace!

Arthur Ryman,
IBM Software Group, Rational Division

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@xxxxxxx

Jeffrey Liu/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: wtp-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

08/31/2006 05:39 PM

Please respond to
"WTP PMC communications (including coordination, announcements,  and Group discussions)" <wtp-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"WTP PMC communications (including coordination, announcements,  and Group discussions)" <wtp-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[wtp-pmc] Resignation as the performance and release engineer

WTP PMC,

It's been a memorable and exciting journey since working on WTP from day one. I am proud to say that I am one of the very first developers to work on this project. Recently, I have been offered a new opportunity at IBM working on another project. I have decided that now is a good time for a change, and I have accepted the offer. I am writing to inform the PMC that I will reduce my involvement in WTP. I will resign from the performance and release engineer role effective after the 1.5.1 release. I'll continue to be involved in WTP, so I would like to maintain my committer-ship.

I want to take this chance to provide more information about my responsibilities being a performance and release engineer for WTP. I am happy to skill transfer these responsibilities to the successor the PMC identifies.

The role as a performance engineer is to ensure WTP run fast. I suggest the successor of this role continue to take the initiative to profile WTP for performance problems and write JUnit test cases to prevent future regressions. This requires working with the WTP development teams to identify, debug and fix performance problems. In the past, a good chunk of performance issues were identified by WTP adopters. I think it will be useful to work closely with them to capture test data for JUnit tests. Most of the time, they reflect real world data.

The role as a release engineer includes running the weekly WTP status meetings, coordinating and keeping track of activites such as translation verification tests. Successor of this role also gets the honor to work on the mess that I have created, the Eclipse API scanner (muahahahaha). In addition to that, you will also need to maintain the scripts for running and uploading test, performance and API results. While we are on this topic, I have a couple of machines in Toronto that are responsbile for running API builds and performance tests. Anyone interested in inheriting these machines, especially the performance one because performance data are very sensitive to the environment. We can discuss this further.

Lastly, I would like to thank you all for the opportunities given to me in WTP. I learnt a lot, and most importantly, it was fun! Best of luck going forward, I wish you guys success in the future. I look forward to hearing more good news from WTP.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey Liu
IBM Rational Software
IBM Toronto Lab.
8200 Warden Ave. Markham, Ontario, L6G 1C7
Internal mail: D3/UMZ/8200/MKM (D3-268)
T/L: 969 3531
Tel: (905) 413 3531
Fax: (905) 413 4920