[wtp-pmc] Resignation as Ecosystem and Documentation Lead

WTP PMC,

As those of you who have been around WTP for a while know, I've been living and breathing WTP since before its inception. As is usually the case, the time has come for some change. I've decided to take on a new opportunity working on another project at IBM. My primary focus will be on this new project going forward and so I must reduce my involvement in WTP by resigning as the ecosystem lead effective immediately and as the documentation lead after the WTP 1.5.1 release. Today's (Aug. 22) PMC call will be the last regular call I will attend.

Before I go any further I want to make it clear that I still intend on being involved in the project in a reduced role and so am not resigning as a committer. I will also continue to act as the documentation lead for the 1.5.1 release and would like to ensure this component is in capable hands before vacating my post.

I'd like to provide some information about the ecosystem lead role with the hope that this information will assist the PMC in staffing this position. This role has changed over the course of the first three WTP releases (not counting the four maintenance releases).

Initially the ecosystem lead role was required to actively build momentum in the WTP community. This momentum was built through soliciting articles, tutorials, conference presentations and posts to blogs, mailing lists and newsgroups. These activities, for the most part, are no longer necessary. WTP has a thriving community including regularly published articles, frequent conference presentations and various types of posts highlighting both our strengths and weaknesses. The only aspect of these activities I think will still be useful going forward is conference organization. (This involves EclipseCon planning and assistance with other conference WTP tracks, such as that of EclipseWorld.)

Currently the role serves as a focal point for Eclipse legal and marketing as well as others in the broader WTP community. Serving as a focal point allows for a lot of information to pass through the ecosystem lead, which has allowed me to keep the PMC abreast of happenings in the WTP community on the weekly status calls. I think this aspect of the ecosystem lead role should be preserved going forward as I've heard a lot of positive feedback throughout the releases both from PMC members and others about the weekly reports. I think it's also been useful to have one WTP contact that Eclipse staff and those in the community can go to for help and direction with WTP.

The ecosystem lead role has also been tightly tied to the WTP website and keeping the WTP news, FAQs and community sections of the website up-to-date. This occurred because we had no one else to handle these tasks and they seemed to naturally fall within the scope of "ecosystem" so I volunteered to take them on. I think the ecosystem lead and the PMC should continue to monitor WTP news and I would like to see the WTP website ownership transition to a full time WTP website webmaster and team that can focus exclusively on the site as opposed to having WTP development responsibilities as well. Tim is already leading the effort to locate people to help with the website and has had at least one interested individual identify himself already.

I want to thank all of you for the opportunity to play this key role in the development of WTP. I've had a lot of fun in this role over the past couple years. Please know that even though I won't be on the weekly calls you have my support going forward and I look forward to many more successful WTP releases starting with WTP 1.5.1!

Lawrence Mandel

Software Developer
IBM Rational Software
Phone: 905 - 413 - 3814   Fax: 905 - 413 - 4920
lmandel@xxxxxxxxxx

Back to the top