[wtp-pmc] FW: [wtp-dev] severe performance regression in 1.0rc5

This sounds very painful, but I still think the best course of action is to continue targeting them into an early drop of 1.0.1 – I’m assuming that our 1.0.1 builds will remain stable and usable, and that we can guide people to them as needed to work around problems like this discovered in 1.0. We can discuss further on the status call Thursday.

Also +1 on having Jeffrey add more large workspace perf test cases.

From: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Arthur Ryman
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 12:06 PM
To: General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues.; Jeffrey Liu
Cc: wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx; wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [wtp-dev] severe performance regression in 1.0rc5

Igor,

Thx for the report. I've added these to our Hot List. Please report on your progress via comments to the bugs. I've cc'ed myself on these.

Jeffrey - clearly we need to add some more large workspaces to our performance test bucket to avoid missing this type of issue in the future.

Arthur Ryman,
IBM Software Group, Rational Division

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@xxxxxxx

Igor Fedorenko <igorfie@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

12/21/2005 02:55 AM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

cc

Subject

[wtp-dev] severe performance regression in 1.0rc5

I would like to bring attention of wtp developers to severe performance
regression(s) introduced in 1.0rc5

121603 "Publishing to Tomcat" takes forever!
121692 Resource change takes ~1 min

After a very quick look at appears that the problem is somewhere in
J2EEFlexProjDeployable#members which means that it is not limited to
Tomcat users and it will make WTP 1.0 virtually unusable to anyone with
relatively large workspace. In my opinion this needs to be fixed for 1.0
otherwise there will be significant negative feedback about the release.

It is bit too late now, but I should be able to look at this problem
more closely tomorrow (if this increases chances of getting this fixed
for 1.0).

--
Regards,
Igor Fedorenko