[wtp-pmc] Fw: Minutes from 4/14 DTP Meeting

fyi

Arthur Ryman,
Rational Desktop Tools Development

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@xxxxxxx
intranet: http://labweb.torolab.ibm.com/DRY6/

----- Forwarded by Arthur Ryman/Toronto/IBM on 04/18/2005 10:23 AM -----
jograham@xxxxxxxxxx

04/15/2005 05:17 PM

Karl.Reti@xxxxxxxxxx, rcernich@xxxxxxxxxx, Hung.Hsi@xxxxxxxxxx, wli@xxxxxxxxxxx, Arthur Ryman/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, igor.shabalov@xxxxxxxxxx, dpchou@xxxxxxxxxx, ajciccon@xxxxxxxxxx, nelin@xxxxxxxxxx, Somasundaram.Shanmugam@xxxxxxxxxx, Xiao.Wang@xxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Minutes from 4/14 DTP Meeting

Attendees
---------------
Rob Cernich (Sybase)
Der Ping Chou (IBM)
John Graham (Sybase)
Wenfeng Li (Actuate)
Karl Reti (Sybase)

Minutes
------------
  Summary of the previous day's DTP demonstrations by BIRT and WTP
  Next week: complete WTP demonstration, Sybase, SQL Query model (IBM),
  and Objectnation demonstrations
  DTP consolidation face-to-face meeting to be held at Sybase headquarters
  in Dublin, CA on 4/26 (Tues) -- 4/28 (Thurs). We are expecting about 15
  people in person, and 3 to 4 on the phone.
  Versant has announced a ORM project, starting as a Technology PMC
  incubator and then aiming to move into DTP.
  Oracle has announced a EJB 3.0 ORM project, starting as a Technology PMC
  incubator and then aiming to move into WTP.

Action Item
----------------

** We need to have a consensus about the expected output of the DTP
face-to-face meeting. I ask this group to consider the following questions
and suggestions, and open a dialog as necessary in email. I would like to
form a decision in next week's meeting, and then write a short description
for guiding the efforts in the consolidation meeting the following week. **

  What is the expected output from the DTP face to face meeting?
  Generally, the group feels that there should be one or more documents
  detailing a consolidation proposal.
  At what level of detail should the output be aimed? Clearly, we will not
  be able to consolidate actual code during the face-to-face meeting,
  though code snap shots from each group contributing will be available
  under EPL at the time of the meeting. Granted, we should have high level
  architecture and road-map documents, but how "deep" does the rest go?
  The general feeling in the group was to divide the components based on
  features, discuss overlap and then discuss consolidation of features.
  Consolidated features would then point to sections (package-level,
  probably) of code to be harvested from each candidate set.
  The group felt that a key deliverable should a clearly defined project
  structure for DTP. In the past we have discussed the various approaches
  -- functional (as the current proposal has it), model-based,
  resource-based, and so on -- but decided to defer the discussion until
  consolidation.
  Once the project structure and high-level features are identified, then
  break-out groups concentrating on each area could drive out details.
  We discussed how (or even if) resource assignments should be made in the
  face to face meeting. We felt that the ideal would be to assign names to
  features/component sets to provide more structure, allow for future
  detailed discussion, and clearly define the delivery capabilities of DTP
  in the short term. A second acceptable level would be to assign a number
  of unnamed engineers to features/component sets. This would at least
  allow for sizing of delivery capability. Finally, we could just assign
  responsibility for features/component sets to broad teams ("IBM" or
  "Sybase" etc. etc.), with resource allocations occurring later. In
  general we felt that some degree of flexibility is desirable at this
  stage.

Additional thoughts, concerns, suggestions, etc?

Regards,
John Graham
Staff Software Engineer
Sybase, Inc.