[websocket-dev] Final specification PR review

Hi,

I've been assigned as a Specification Committee member, to shepherd the WebSocket final specification through the process necessary to bring it to final ballot.

Ideally, Web Socket would be included in the first wave of Specifications for ballot. These were hoped to be ready by the end of the day, tomorrow, July 20, so they could begin their final review ballot starting Tuesday July 21 (cf, Jakarta EE 9 release plan and Jakarta EE 9 Schedule).

Please let me know what the status of this effort is so that I can assist as necessary and maybe even get this specification ready for ballot, if not this week, next. I know that you have been doing lots of work on this specification and I'm hoping it's close to being finished.

If you already know what to do, skip the rest of this message. Otherwise, to finish this up:

Some pointers to help finish your work preparing the specification for ballot. For reference, the Web Socket PRs are (Spec, API Docs).

  • Make sure all the materials are complete and ready to go
    • The Spec document, in FINAL status (HTML and PDF)
    • The JavaDocs
    • The TCK
      • The TCK itself and all the accompanying documentation
      • The TCK is posted in its pre-final download location (e.g. download.eclipse.org/ ... /*.zip
    • Evidence that a compatible implementation passes the TCK
      • The TCK result summary (include these data; Here is an example from 1.1)
      • Don't forget to file the Compatibility Certification Request in the WebSocket API issue tracker (here is the WebSocket 1.1 cert. request issue)
  • Complete the first five steps outlined in the Specification Finalization Checklist. Note that it is optional to create a single PR for both the Specification material and the JavaDoc -- or create two PRs. For review, two may be easier to manage but it's up to you.
  • I will verify all the material is completed using this committee written Spec. Review Checklist. You or I can just paste this into the PR so we can keep track of any omissions.

Open a pull request against the jakartaee/specifications GitHub Repository. You can also just look for examples with the "waveN"  labels if you want to see any current examples. The PR will be created with a checklist (from this template).

If there is anything I can help with, please let me know. Thank you for the work you've done so far. I really appreciate it.

-- Ed Bratt

P.S. A detailed guide to creating a Jakarta EE Specification is in The Jakarta EE Operations Guide, look under the section heading: Creating a Final Specification.

Back to the top