Re: [udig-dev] meeting at foss4g

I am helping out with a workshop (helping Andrea with GeoServer workshop)
all day tomorrow, but am available *this* afternoon.

Best place for work is the conference hotel lobby, has beer and good
internet (with all ports open so we can talk to IRC and github).

Jody

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 12:23 PM, andrea antonello <
andrea.antonello@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi uDiggers going to foss4g.
> Who will be there tomorrow already? And would there be time to meet or
> are you involved in workshops?
>
> I could be there tomorrow at the conference, but I am not even sure if
> I can enter it since I didn't sign up for the workshops.
> Anyone ideas?
>
> Frank, it looks like you will not be at the code sprint. Should we
> exploit the early ending of the presentations and any free time to
> meet up and do some coding for uDig?
>
> Jody, what about you?
>
> From my side I am fully in pushing to do some uDig "stabilization
> >> a small tutorial on a usage workflow in order for users to get
> >> started.
> >> Can you produce one, so that we (and anyone interested) can run it?
> >>
> >> Nice work,
> >> Andrea

> tool

> within

> Last

> the
> >> >
> http://www.mcfoi.it/msccs/thesis/jgt-hortonmachine-0.7.7-SNAPSHOT-C.jar

> http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/EN/Introduction+to+the+Spa=
tial+Toolbox

> https://bitbucket.org/mcfoi/jgrasstool-cislam/src/b6e1fbd00f6e052c2c5e50f=
16091275dbc321520/hortonmachine/src/main/java/org/jgrasstools/hortonmachine=
/modules/hydrogeomorphology/cislam?at=3Dcislamdev

--047d7b86e4245ecff104e7212d89

l should be on usage not on the theory.</div><div>Once a scientist would tr=
y to use this module, which is the first utility to run? which are the outp=
ut needed for the other steps? and so on till running the final module.</di=
v>
but it has to be clear the full path to go through, like the uDig walkthrou=
o <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:andrea.antonello@xxxxxxxxx"; targe=
e class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc sol=
id;padding-left:1ex">
Back to list :)<br>
&gt; The idea is not a bad one.<br>
&gt; Just I am not sure it will be that useful since the model requires a l=
ot of<br>
&gt; input data then it proceeds autonomously to the end.. ..so I feel the =
most<br>
&gt; interesting part of such a tutorial would be the description of the in=
put<br>
&gt; data and their constraint.<br>
&gt; Well.. ..in this perspective I would call upon some Hydrologist to cov=
er<br>
&gt; such a task.. ..perhaps starting from my sketch in the OmsCislam.html =
file<br>
&gt; where I can eventually expand a bit over the technical requirements (e=
.g.:<br>
&gt; perfect overlapping of coverages, etc.)<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Otherwise I am not getting the point about the advantages of the tutor=
ial<br>
&gt; you are suggesting!<br>
well, right now one that doesn&#39;t know the domain perfectly is not able<=
br>
with the given infos, to execute the module, right?<br>
I.e. think of a Marco Foi that studied some of the theory but didn&#39;t<br=

write the modules. He would like to run the module with your test<br>
data.<br>
I don&#39;t think he would make it.<br>
So a step by step instruction would be nice.<br>
Something like the one for the spatial toolbox in the wiki maybe.<br>
Ciao,<br>
Andrea<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Marco<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; 2013/9/24 andrea antonello &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:andrea.antonello@gmai=
l.com">andrea.antonello@xxxxxxxxx</a>&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Hi Marco,<br>
&gt;&gt; congratulations, you are almost there and have been very autonomou=
s<br>
&gt;&gt; and clean in your work.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; We are just back from Foss4g, and are slowly looking into the runn=
ing<br>
&gt;&gt; modules and docs. You have indeed nicely documented the modules.<b=
r>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Since the module is quite complex in its use, it would be good to =
have<br>
&gt;&gt; a small tutorial on a usage workflow in order for users to get<br>
&gt;&gt; started.<br>
&gt;&gt; Can you produce one, so that we (and anyone interested) can run it=
?<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Nice work,<br>
&gt;&gt; Andrea<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 9:49 AM, Marco Foi &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:f=
oimarco@xxxxxxxxx">foimarco@xxxxxxxxx</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; GSoC 13 WR 14 - Hydrologically controlled landslides suscepti=
bility tool<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; for<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; uDig<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; Hi mates!<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; I=92m Marco and I am working on the development of a tool to =
assess<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; susceptibility of hydrologically controlled shallow landslide=
s.<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; The software will be based on the Ph.D. Thesis in Environment=
al<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; Engineering<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; by Lanni C. (2012) and will consist of a model available for =
use within<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; the<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; uDig/JGrass Spatial Toolbox<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; FINAL REPORT<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; =95 What did I do this week?<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; - This week I focused on a couple of aspects of the project, =
both<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; related to<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; the user experience. I revisited and tried to harmonize all i=
nput<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; descriptions so that they looked brief though expressive in t=
he<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; auto-generated GUI panel. I also filled a more extensive docu=
mentation<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; for<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; the main module. This will need some peer review with someone=
 really<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; expert<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; in the domain of hydrology, but it will serve as a starting p=
oint. Last<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; but<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; not the least, I packaged the tool in a shareable .JAR file s=
o that<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; anyone<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; can test the model with their own data.<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; Here are the JARs: both required, despite just the Hortonmach=
ine has the<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; tool. The other is here for convenience:<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; <a href=3D"http://www.mcfoi.it/msccs/thesis/jgt-hortonmachine=
-0.7.7-SNAPSHOT-C.jar" target=3D"_blank">http://www.mcfoi.it/msccs/thesis/j=
gt-hortonmachine-0.7.7-SNAPSHOT-C.jar</a><br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; <a href=3D"http://www.mcfoi.it/msccs/thesis/jgt-jgrassgears-0=
.7.7-SNAPSHOT-C.jar" target=3D"_blank">http://www.mcfoi.it/msccs/thesis/jgt=
-jgrassgears-0.7.7-SNAPSHOT-C.jar</a><br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; And here a sample input dataset<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; <a href=3D"http://www.mcfoi.it/msccs/thesis/inputdata.zip"; ta=
rget=3D"_blank">http://www.mcfoi.it/msccs/thesis/inputdata.zip</a><br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; To use the JARs, follow the tutorial below. It requires you h=
ave uDig<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; installed. Use my JAR in place of the suggested<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; jgt-hortonmachine-xxx.jar :<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; <a href=3D"http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/EN/=
Introduction+to+the+Spatial+Toolbox" target=3D"_blank">http://udig.refracti=
ons.net/confluence/display/EN/Introduction+to+the+Spatial+Toolbox</a><br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; The code of the JGrassTools frameworks I have contributed my =
CI-slam<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; module<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; is available here:<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; <a href=3D"https://bitbucket.org/mcfoi/jgrasstool-cislam/"; ta=
rget=3D"_blank">https://bitbucket.org/mcfoi/jgrasstool-cislam/</a><br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; specifically, the developed module is within this folder:<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; <a href=3D"https://bitbucket.org/mcfoi/jgrasstool-cislam/src/=
b6e1fbd00f6e052c2c5e50f16091275dbc321520/hortonmachine/src/main/java/org/jg=
rasstools/hortonmachine/modules/hydrogeomorphology/cislam?at=3Dcislamdev" t=
arget=3D"_blank">https://bitbucket.org/mcfoi/jgrasstool-cislam/src/b6e1fbd0=
0f6e052c2c5e50f16091275dbc321520/hortonmachine/src/main/java/org/jgrasstool=
s/hortonmachine/modules/hydrogeomorphology/cislam?at=3Dcislamdev</a><br>

&gt;&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; Best regards,<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; Marco<br>