Re: [udig-devel] RFC adding an extension point

Hi, I don't think any extension point is really required as the Eclipse UI framework can be used to accomplish what you need.

As the map editor is a standard Eclipse editor part, it will be placed wherever the "Editor area" is defined in the perspective.
And ANY perspective which has the "Editor area" visible, it will display the map (and any other editor).
You can use the IPageLayout.setEditorAreaVisible method to hide the editor area in some perspective if you wish.
If you use the map in a view, the view can be defined to be in a certain area of the perspective.

So, in your custom perspective class, override "createInitialLayout" method, to define placement or placeholders for your views relative to the editor area.
Use the createFolder, addView and addPlaceholder methods of the IPageLayout interface.

In that way you can customize any perspective to have the desired layout. Nothing else is required from uDig side I think.

 -Pana