Re: [udig-devel] deadlock "fixed" .. release?

Hi Jody,

> Silvia was having a problem with drag and drop of shape files in another
> email thread, there is also a known issue on the wiki page:
>
> http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/UDIG/1.4.0#1.4.0-ShapefileDragandDrop%28KnownIssue%29
>
> Let me know what you think?

I think that this should be solved. I am really concerned about the
usability quality of uDig, and I am not the only one. If adding
features means breaking exiting, then we should stop and understand
what is going on.

If this was the result of the famous wizard that was added (don't
remember which , but I think by some of the Lisa guys, maybe even
you), then I would remove that wizard. This layer problem really
lowers userfriendlyness of the add resource workflow, which is most
probably one of the good points of uDig. So if it is some trap with
some recent functionality, I would ask to revert that functionality or
fix it.
Else we risk to start breaking more and more things leaving them
behind and forgetting about that. Remember the broken glass metaphore
in the Pragmatic Programmer? :)

If the above is not the case, I would really like to know what is
starting to weaken our layer system.

Btw, I start a course for a week today and we will use uDig a lot. So
that is the stresstest for the 1.4.0 we need.
I would suggest to do a decent IRC meeting with all of the PSC next
week to understand what is going on with uDig and how to release this
problemchild.
To get the ball rolling I suggest the 14th as meeting date.

Ciao,
Andrea