Re: [udig-devel] Pull Request 102 refresh issue for tools?

Okay Moovida caught up with me on IRC and we made some progress on this for you Frank.

What we have here is BasicFeatureRenderer trying to solve one problem (clearing a small area that needs and update) in the wrong section of code.

The Renderer API render(Graphics2D, ReferencedEnvelope, IProgressMonitor) method is used in three situations:

a) Renderer render(IProgressMonitor) - which creates a new raster to hold the contents of the layer, and then calls renderer( Graphics2D, … ) etc to fill it with content

b) ApplicationGIS drawMap which uses the renderer( Graphics2D , … ) method directly to draw every layer into the same graphics

So to fix this issue we need to move the "clearRectangle" into one of two spots (not sure which yet). It could be done in the layer.refresh( … ) method; or in the renderer( IProgressMonitor ) method.

Aside: Moovida and I also had a bit of fun checking how the map background colour was passed around the system. The Black colour mentioned in your bug report was confusing - I suspect that when ApplicationGIS drawMap makes a copy of the original Map it may be failing to copy the background colour over?

Issues under discussion:
- https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/UDIG-1786
- https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/UDIG-1765

Jody