Re: [udig-devel] Eclipse Location Industry working group update

Um - Hi Andrew - I think we were waiting to hear back from you and your team? As I understand you were away Dec / Jan so I did not want to pester :-)

Jody,

Yes that's right. In addition to being away in December, my mandate has been to prioritize the Long Term Support industry working group (IWG) before Location. It's developing nicely so I'm picking up on tasks for the Location IWG. I've been quietly recruiting companies and people who would be interested in Location as well. Thank you for joining the mailing list.

For Location, as per the Eclipse bylaws, we need permission to distribute software that's not EPL. Even if uDig were to re-license under the EPL (or dual-license EPL/LGPL), Geotools (which is LGPL) and other dependencies would still require permission. For this reason, we need the Location IWG. The Polarsys industry working group at Eclipse has set a successful precedent here.

Getting companies & interested people to join the Location IWG mailing list is something everyone can help with. Thank you kindly.

In terms of next steps and timing... we're aiming for a face to face meeting in May, likely at the Location Intelligence conference in Washington D.C. Between then and now, we home to prime the pump for discussion of initiatives and iterate a draft of the Location IWG charter.

From a uDig perspective, once the Location IWG is launched, and of course if we receive Refractions support on this, we can formally begin the proposal to take it to Eclipse. This feels like it'll happen around June/July timeframe. How does this work for you all?
It sounds great; and since we are new to the eclipse world we will heavily lean on your experience / direction.

Refractions is alive (and have continued to keep the serves operational; however they have not responded to any project specific emails). As such I expect we will need to try phoning; when we have a nice clear plan laid out to discuss?

I am likely to proceed with the EPL change request regardless of the status on the location IWG as it will help simplify our story.

With that in mind I expect the only plugin to contain an LGPL license will be net.refractions.udig.libs. There are a couple of experiments Frank was working on to allow us to depend on the GeoTools jars directly; but the details got technical for me … and I should not plan with them in mind.

Jody

Back to the top