if you are really keen you can download and read the sld standard; it is free.

--
Jody Garnett

On Monday, 4 April 2011 at 5:28 PM, M L wrote:

Thanks. Looking at the ling you gave me, you can do more on styles that I expected. My question now is, do I need to use geoserver to attach a SLD to my layer or can I just continue using postgis and attach the style programatically? What are the things you can do with geoserver that you cannot do with a direct postgis data source?

Marco

Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 01:14:51 +1000
From: jody.garnett@xxxxxxxxx
To: 472310@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; udig-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [udig-devel] layer styles

Try the style dialog (it allows you to assign an image to a point). And then look at the advanced xml page to review the resulting style data structure. You can create the same data structure using java code to get the same effect.

There is some information on building the data structure, (or even parsing that xml) in the GeoTools user guide and GeoServer docs:

Moovida it would be great to improve the docs for your new style pages; or add a "task" illustrating how to answer Marco's question.
Cheers,

--
Jody Garnett