[udig-devel] database and feature list questions

> Hi all, I have two questions for the community, I am pretty sure you are
> able to answer them really quickly :)
>
> 1) is it possible to modify and consequently save layers from Postgis
> and Oracle DBs?

Yes Oracle and PostGIS are supported. We are actually running with a new copy of the "DataStore" used to work with Oracle, PostGIS, DB2 and so forth. Indeed SQLServer appears to be available.

If volunteers are interested in testing we can include support for more formats in later editions of uDig.

> 2) is there a main list of all the existing plugins (or functionalities) of each uDig release?

There have been a couple of pages devoted to this in the past on the wiki. The main one is the "What is new" page for uDig 1.1.x. We actually need to make one of these pages for the recent 1.2.x.
- http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/EN/What+is+new
- http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/EN/What+is+new+1.1.0

There are however lots of comparisons:
- http://spatialserver.net/osgis/Desktopgis_overview.htm

> I mean, the snapping functionality works pretty good, but I spent some time to actually find it, having a list of all the functionalities could really have
> helped me in that case..

The online help (included with the application is intended to act as a reference in this regard). Once again this is sourced from the community wiki .. still the structure is sound.

Reference:
- http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/EN/Reference

Common Tasks:
- http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/EN/Tasks