Re: [udig-devel] raster performance wow

Actually using the gridcoveragereader even with jpeg is pretty darn amazing; I can now load my massive jpeg test image that fails with the GridCoverageLoader.  And performance is way better then I remember it.

Could it be the the change to storing the JAI TileCache on the layer context is acting as a better version of loading an image into memory then is provided by GridCoverageLoader?

Jody

On 01/08/2010, at 4:14 PM, Jody Garnett wrote:

> I have a patch incoming that turns off loading the image into memory by default (unless it is a jpeg).
>
> And wow does it make a difference; for geotiff bluemarble in the default dataset the performance difference is like night and day. Not the image is still cached in a a JAI tileset - where it can do a decent job of lazy loading etc.
>
> To help with this I have made a new render metrics context DRAW_IMAGE_COMPRESSED used to indicate problem formats like jpeg where drawing from disk is slowed by the requirement to read everything.

Back to the top