The data model could also be modified so two maps can share the same viewport model; but it is a bit tricky in that the viewport model is I think also recording the width and height in visible pixels.

This topic has be discussed a couple of times; I believe Emily is the most recent person to implement.

Jody

On 27/04/2010, at 4:55 PM, Kanupriya Chadha wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I wrote a single command which helped me set the temporary point to the center of the viewport and change the display scale simultaneously. All this takes around 1 sec to execute.

I now have another problem. We need to show the zoomed area in another editor i.e. open two map editors one which has the original map and the other(of a smaller dimensions and at the bottom left corner of the screen) which has the area that is being zoomed.
Please help..

Thanks and regards
Kanupriya

From: jody.garnett@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 21:54:40 +1000
To: udig-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [udig-devel] Changing the display scale automatically per second

We have had real time tracking before; there is a tutorial which you can follow that uses sea gulls as a standing.

Here is the thing:
- use tiled map renderer (so that rendering into tiles is separate from panning
- use one of the special pan commands that animate to the new location
-- there are three pan tools available; try them out with tiled renderer on
-- one of them is "fixed scale" (so the tiles stay the same); and one is fixed scale and smooth which animates
-- you will need to look into the implementation to see how they do it

Using these techniques we have had "flicker free" pannning in udig; it currently crashes on the mac due to an SWT bug so we have not made it the default.

I also recommend writing your own (single) command that does what you want with a minimum number of redraws.
Jody