[udig-devel] generic geotools datastore support

It appears we have this working; and in the interest of feedback I am putting a SNAPSHOT release up.

This is simply a "nightly release" with no special meaning in order to solicit feedback and testing. The support of geotools datastores does not need to be included in uDig 1.2.0 (and can wait for a point release) - this is just an experiment to see if people enjoy the functionality.

This opens the door to several formats - as shown in the attached screen snap....

The wizard pages are pretty generic (well exactly generic). I have left all the "advanced" parameters in the mix; and it should give you good feedback as you type in values etc. Thus far I have tested with shapefile, property, versioned postgis and postgisng.

It should also let people try out DB2 and Oracle without getting stuck on incomplete wizard QA. If you get a chance skip the "JNDI" entries; they are designed for use in a Java EE application like GeoServer where Java Naming and Directory Interface can be used to look up a shared database.

If you are wanting to work on Oracle you will still need to use the preference page to tell udig about the jdbc drivers (since we cannot redistribute them).

Areas where there are likely to be difficulty?
- generating of an "id" for each service / resource (so it can be listed in the catalog) is the hardest problem; and where we need help testing! Let us know what formats work or do not work.
- generation of a title is similar to that of an id; and we are interested in any formats that cause trouble
- it is slightly easier to "Import" data into the catalog; and then add to the Map. If you are having trouble try this technique first (since the wizard only has to connect to the service there is less chance for error; and chances are you can expand the service in the catalog and let us know if any resources show up with out a title or icon or otherwise produce null pointer exceptions).

Any and all feedback welcome; I would love to see the H2 format working for example :-)

Finally if you know of any other geotools formats you would like us to add send an email and we can list them in refresh.xml.

Jody

Back to the top