Re: [udig-devel] World Mercator with postgis

Mark Leslie is the postgis guy I know these days and he can confirm or deny what I say here :-)

You can add your own SRID codes to to PostGIS and define one th be generic cartesian 2D if you like. UDig will pick up this WKT definition and be fairly happy.

In uDig you click to change the projection; there are two tabs (one where you select the formal epsg definition from a list; and a second where you can type in your own WKT). You can also right lick on a layer and "force" a change of projection (if the data source is wrong for example - it does happen).

Mercator is supported in our referencing library so you should be able to proceed resonably well. Normally PostGIS SRID codes line up with the EPSG codes ...

Jody

David Zwarg wrote:
Hello,

I am wondering if there is a way to use the World Mercator projection in PostGIS in uDig. I am unable to use either the PostGIS (3395) or the uDig (41001) EPSG codes for world mercator in my PostGIS layer -- they both show up as Generic cartesian 2D. As soon as I attempt to add geometry and edit geometry, uDig goes into an endless loop of IllegalArgumentExceptions.

However, if I use an EPSG code that appears in BOTH postgis and uDig, it seems to work alright. If there was a way to represent Generic cartesian coordinates in PostGIS, that would be preferable, but -1 causes this same IllegalArgumentException spiral. Am I missing a general projection that would be more suitable?

Also, during this experiment, I was unable to create a custom CRS in the uDig map preferences, or by clicking on the button in the status bar. How do you create a custom CRS from a known WKT?

Thanks,
David