[udig-devel] Re: fun on trunk: socket plugin does what? and draw2drenderer update

Hi Jesse - just a summary. We are both moving in the same direction (ie away from Command as defined in the latest eclipse mess of menu stuff). Can you consider: - Using Jetty (which we already have as a dependency) - the Servlet API is well documented and identical in purpose to what you are setting up. - Whatever JGrass is doing for their console (I expect it is similar to our general problem)

Remaining response inline - it amounts to exploring how we can obey the DRY principal.
Jody

Jesse Eichar wrote:
I agree with all these points completely and even more since I have recently integrated uDig into an existing application as a set of features and not as a basis for an application. So I really really appreciate these issues. If you notice some changes I made was to reduce the role of the ActionbarAdvisor even further.
It sounds like this is shaping up to be the major direction for the uDig codebase (common need from multiple projects).
However:

    * Even when we have moved uDig to commands you still don't
      necessarily need commands to integrate with the "future" udig.
       You need to know how to configure then in XML perhaps but not
      implement them or really even use them.  I know since I have
      integrated uDig into the existing SpatialDataIntegrator project
    * The Socket API does not affect the UI or other applications
      except that you need to know how to turn it on and off and
      configure it using the Preferences API, which is an established API.

Okay one more idea for you here - Eclipes has taken to including Jetty for the online help system. Why not fire up Jetty and write this as a good old fashioned Servlet? At the very least we loose some multithreading issuing; and programmers once again have a no net new api to learn. This is a just an idea for you to chew on and spit out - it conflicts with what I have to say a bit further down the page.
My big worry is that in the good intentioned attempt at making everything integrate with other applications we will unnecessarily