Re: [udig-devel] Which branch to choose?

Jody Garnett wrote:
Good morning Mauro:
Hello everybody,
I'm approaching Udig development to build customized GIS Viewers. We have previously developed a GeoTools DataStore to use in GeoServer. The DataStore is written for GeoTools 2.3.x (to use it in GeoServer 1.5.x) and we are currently migrating it to GeoTools 2.4.x (to use it in GeoServer 1.6.x).
Right; we don't have a version of uDig that works against either of those releases; Frankly two things prevent us from using GeoTools 2.3 or 2.4: - without a client application like uDig around much of the functionality we need simply does not work
- you cannot edit shapefiles without deadlock (a complete show stopper)
- the transition to filter 1.1 is incomplete something we make use of a lot - feature event notifications as datastores are edited are not always sent - and some of the "Aggregate" functions we use for the style themer do not work
Clear.
Did you have a problem with geotools trunk or uDig trunk? I would be happy to talk you through building either one of these on IRC or Skype if needed.
I don't know exactly why, but today I retried a clean on the libs plugin, then a full build and ta dah! Udig trunk is succcessfully building. I can even launch it :-). Now I have the following exception when I load a shapefile (and a WFS layer too): Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.opengis.referencing.operation.MathTransform2D.inverse()Lorg/opengis/referencing/operation/MathTransform2D; at org.geotools.renderer.lite.StreamingRenderer$RenderableFeature.getDecimator(StreamingRenderer.java:2344) at org.geotools.renderer.lite.StreamingRenderer$RenderableFeature.getTransformedShape(StreamingRenderer.java:2328) at org.geotools.renderer.lite.StreamingRenderer$RenderableFeature.getShape(StreamingRenderer.java:2310) at org.geotools.renderer.lite.StreamingRenderer.processSymbolizers(StreamingRenderer.java:1722) at org.geotools.renderer.lite.StreamingRenderer.process(StreamingRenderer.java:1657) at org.geotools.renderer.lite.StreamingRenderer.processStylers(StreamingRenderer.java:1601)
   ... 7 more

Wrong GeoApi version?

How soon does your product go out?
We're not in a hurry. We'are evaluating options. Obviously, due to our experience on Geotools, Udig is the first on our list among GIS desktop software.
I am working on two projects right now that will be completed in the next six months; both of them on "trunk". Although I would like to use a "stable" geotools as a base one simply is not avaialble that is up to the needs of a desktop application. As such I need to make it myself; and am contributing my time to GeoTools trunk to make it happen. The good news is the "Scary" stuff for GeoTools 2.5 is done; ie the transition to the new feature model. There are no further planned API changes on GeoTools trunk; just clean up work.
I'm glad to hear this from you. Maybe I'm not scary to go on trunk after all :-)
I would not worry about branching your datastore forward to geotools trunk; you will want to move to the latest geoserver eventually and the more bug reports you can provide them the better.
Good point.

Thanks for your support,
Mauro Bartolomeoli

Back to the top