[udig-devel] Protecting Catalog Services

Is there a way of protecting services which have been put in the local catalog, i.e. stopping the user from removing them? It seems that, if the user deletes a service, all layers from that service will fail on existing maps which use them - even if your plugin always makes sure the service exists on startup (and creates it if it doesn't).

Here's an example;
1. Open up uDig, create a new project and map.
2. Drag the Grid layer from the Map Graphics service on to the map
3. Delete the Map Graphics catalog entry
4. Close uDig, then re-open it

The Grid layer won't render ("There was no renderer found capable of rendering this layer") and in the layer properties, the ID of the layer is "mapgraphic:/localhost/mapgraphic2#grid" rather than "mapgraphic:/localhost/mapgraphic#grid". No amount of refreshing or opening and closing of maps or uDig will get it back again. If you create another map, you can add the Grid layer (from the recreated Map Graphics service) to it without problems.

I know it's unlikely that users will delete these services, but there doesn't seem to be any way of recovering from this situation if they do. I'm just trying to put this into JIRA, but I'm having problems connecting to your site (probably my dodgy internet connection!).

Dave S-B
Lledr Solutions

Back to the top